Is there such thing as relationship anxiety??

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
rlynn2358

Post by rlynn2358 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:23 am

I was told a few weeks ago that my anxiety issues could be related to problems in a relationship. Is there such thing as that? Please help this is bothering me to no end.

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:30 pm

I wouldn't specifically call it relationship anxiety but it could be anxiety caused by relationship, anxiety for diffrent aspects of relationship or just anxiety from other things that is affecting the relationship.

Mike

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:55 pm

I agree with Mike.

Certain relationships and people can cause me anxiety. Or really, my reaction to them is anxious, but now that I've done the program I can deal with it now.

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:09 am

I know what you mean. I just broke up with my boyfriend a few weeks ago becuase it was too stressful just being together. I had constant panic attacks around him and all we did together was sit on the couch and watch tv becuase I never wanted to go out anywhere. He tried to understand but is now upset with me. I dont know if I made the right decision. My thought was to end the relationship. Get this program and focus on fixing myself and my life...

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:33 am

I think, no; I know a lot of my anxiety recently has been due to my husband's anxiety/depression. I'm trying, following my weekly cd/dvd and book, right now at self talk, but he is so negative; constantly. I try to be positive but he just won't hear of it, not for himself anyway. Had a moment this morning, he was negative, left for work. I just lay back down, breathed, did the relaxation and repeated what's been working for me (I'm not doing anything wrong, I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing) and I was ok in a couple minutes. I just have to go back home again to someone who is totally negative. So yes, relationship problems definitely DO affect our anxiety level, self esteem, etc.

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:53 am

I get very anxious when I go to my parents house.
All of my life they told me that I was not right. They have constantally criticized not only me but everyone they have come in contact with.
I didn't think much about it when I was little when they would talk about my brothers and sisters and how bad their life was and how they had to struggle.
Until I started to hear back from my friends that their parents were told these same things about me.
My parents constantally called DCFS (child welfare), my children's schools, my friends and sitters.
When I bought my first house in 2000, they went door to door in the neighborhood telling them what kind of person was moving in, (I didn't find this out until 2005 at our first block party.
Struggling between the bond that is supposed to be between a parent and a child and finding out that these people are the source of the anxiety and bad feelings between me and anyone I meet was devistating.
I have always thought that I had to prove I was right. I self involved myself into finding out the truth.
I was not given the chance to make a first impression.
I alienated myself from my family and I made friends. Ones that I actually had the chance to real first impression with. When they met my parents, I felt compelled to appologise for them. However, my friends got to see me for me and my parents for what they are.
I continued to have an astrainged relationship with my parents. Wanting my children to know their grandparents. From this, I was accused of being a lesbian, mentally ill, abusive, neglectful, on drugs, and not living in reality.
I confronted my parents in 2007. Which I felt good about but very uneasy and worring what would happen next.
In March 2009 I got a resrtaining order because of the abuse. Since that, my family has told me via voicemail that I am NOT a member of their family and if I attempted to contact them in any way, they would have me arrested.
Now I am trying to reclaim my life and find peace.
Even though stopping the abuse both physically and emotionally was what I wanted, I feel so alone.
My friends give me encourgement.
I still ask why. And it still causes drpression for not having a "normal" family. Anxiety for what will be said or done behind my back (again).
Even my councelors and psychatrist anolg with the judge that granted the order of protection ask me WHY do I feel that my parents and own family would do such things.
Yes, I do believe that some relationships are toxic.
I'm trying to deal with mine. :roll:

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:30 am

You know not only Parents can do stupid things with their children but Brothers and Sisters can also do the same. For instance my mother and I went to cellibrate an old fashion Christmas some years ago with my sister lets call her Jeanie. And we all went clear across to another state to visit with her and her daughters and son. So flying for my mom wasn't something she wanted to really do. But since we were all wanting to get together she decided to walk through her fear of flying and make the trip anyways. So when we got to this other state my sister started to make comments about my mom behind her back saying that she doesn't like the way our mom looks. But I assured her that mom was just fine. Then once I spent sometime with her boy, Dick and start to open up to him about things in my life that's going good for me. I learn later that he, after swearing that all this boy talk was just going to remain with us, he winds up reporting back to my sister about all of what we talked.
And if any of you bothered to read some of my past thoughts on my father you know that I didn't have a good relationship with him. So Jeanie used this info to inform my other sister, the one that liked dad, that I am still running down our father's image even when I told my other sister that I'd stop. Well this just added fuel to the FIRE! But the whole thing blew up in all our faces as one night I was cornered in the bathroom and told by Jeanie that her daughter that broke away from her clan to live her own life without any interferance from her mother was now bring up her children all wrong and Jeanie the control freak wanted both me and mom to get on her side to put her rebel daughter down. Well both I and mom liked the rebel daughter alot, so we refused to get on her Mickey Mouse Hate Parade and well tempers flaired up and the rest of our vacation was a disaster. So you see you don't have to be a person with a disability to have problems with your own kin.
Greed and Resentments run deep within the Shallow Heart of another. To this day both I and my mother refuse to speak to Jeanie after the mess she made of that X-Mas. Enough said.

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”