Phobia--anyone else?

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
TDub

Post by TDub » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:44 am

I am just curious if anyone else in the WORLD has this phobia too. I am really scared about going out and getting my mail. Not agoraphobic, like scared of walking to the mailbox. But scared of actually getting the mail out of the box and then going through it, I guess thinking I'm going to find something bad or scary in it. I am working on it since I'm doing the program, but I just was curious if anyone else out there has ever had this????? Makes me feel really weird. Thanks!

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:08 am

Are you afraid of bills, or bill collectors? Maybe getting a letter from the IRS? Or just actually getting the mail out of the box?

You should journal this out. I bet you'll find the reason for these fears. There has to be something behind this.

I know you feel weird, but anxiety causes a kinds of thoughts to come to us when we're stressed. When you have those thoughts you have to treat them like any other, turn them to positives. Cause whatever thoughts that are making you afraid of getting your mail is not true.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:19 am

Thanks for your post. I've actually had this for a long time. I know when it started, I used to have so many bills, I just couldn't pay them (due to losing my additional part-time jobs with the economy). So being scared of the bills. I also got into foreclosure on my house (just typing this is making me feel a little panicky actually, but I am talking my way out of it and breathing). Am working with the bank (and being represented by an attorney), and I'm sure that is also scaring me. I actually have been more able to pay on the bills lately and have been in a better place about them recently. I guess once it started though, I just had a harder and harder time; and it's hard to break those phobias. I've broken through lots of others; but this is my huge one that bothers me the most and I've had the longest. I'm also worried (can't believe I'm actually telling someone about this for the first time) because a couple times my mailbox has gotten filled up (like this time) due to magazines and stuff, and I have to go to the post office and get my mail started up again--and there is one lady at the counter who always makes me feel stupid when I have to go in there. So actually she bothers me too. I know I shouldn't let her, but this is a small town, you know; and it just bothers me when she does that. I'm ready to be at the point to go and grab my mail every day now--I'm just scared to go to the post office and look/feel stupid. This is such a dumb thing, it's embarrassing, and I can't tell other people about it. So thanks for your post. Once I get over this one, it will be one of my biggest hurdles.

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:23 pm

My fear is not so much the mailbox but the phone calls. Most of the time I don't even check my caller ID because I don't even want to know who called. Even at work, I usually let the machine take a message and then return calls that are pertinent to my job. Just the phone ringing is a form of stress for me. I am hoping that eventually I will be able to just pick up the phone whenever it rings and not have to worry about who is on the other end.

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:51 pm

I have been afraid of a number of things concerning the mailbox, but not what is in it. My mailbox is at the end of my very long driveway. The drive way drops off to the side where my box is located and the box is near the bottom of a hill. So I am terrified that I am going to slip and fall. Slip on gravel and fall and break something. Also that no one will hear my cries for help. When I drive down to the box and try to pull up beside it, I am afraid someone will come down the hill and hit my car. Why I am so afraid I don't know. My husband goes down to get the mail with no problem. Finally my daughter started to send me notes and cards to try to get me to go to the mail box. Well it has worked a little. I temidly with heavy breathing and shakes have gotton the mail a few times. But usually I let my husband bring up the mail.

Susan

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:25 pm

Thanks VERY much for your posts! I know it may sound strange, but it really helps to hear that other people have things that they are afraid of too and are working on. You may think your fear makes no sense to anyone else, and I think mind makes no sense to anyone else. But it just helps sometimes to know that others are out there, fighting similar battles. And little by little, step by step, we can beat them together by doing the program and talking to and encouraging each other! I really appreciate your taking the time to post. It really did help me reading them. Nice to know I'm not the only one with fears and phobias. I know in my logical brain that others have similar things too, but it's nice to have someone else actually talk about it. Thanks so much! Like I said, if we all work together, we can beat these fears!

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”