hate being alone

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
EllaRose

Post by EllaRose » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:01 am

Hello, I am new to this and not quite sure how it works, so here goes a try.
I am really struggling right now with being home alone. Whenever family members all leave, I feel my anxious feelings begin. I know I am supposed to be my own safe person and I am getting really good at using all the skills to ward off almost anything when I struggle. But that's when other people are here. When they leave, I feel SO nervous and I feel like I'm almost too frozen with fear to go through the steps - it's like I don't want to even think about anxiety in any form or it'll make me more anxious. Also, I feel that I can't get through the "what-if's" in this situation. I always think, "What if I can't handle this? What if I try being alone and I start going through the steps and then I get into a full-blown panic attack and I need someone and they aren't here. I have to call someone to come home right now BEFORE I get to that place because then I'll be all alone in that state and I can't do that." I fight so hard against those feelings because I just so badly don't want to feel them anymore. I don't know how to not be scared of them. So another part of my thought process in these situations is, "It takes so much energy to get through these things. I just can't do it anymore. I can't fight, I'm too tired, I need someone here." Does anyone out there understand or think that they can advise me? I am depressed at how this effects my family members so terribly. I have to find a way through it. Thanks to everyone in advance.
EllaRose

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:25 am

Anyone out there?

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:35 am

Hello - I can feel that things are hard for you. I just started the program myself. I know things will and can get better. How often does your family visit? How often do you get out? Things seem to get better by getting out and doing things. I know by sticking with the program others have overcome this and you can too. Minute by minute, day by day, think that things will get better and have faith that they will.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:19 am

i feel like im reading my own story, i know what ya are feeling, as i am in the same boat, i live on my own and a father of a son who lives with me full time and you think that would be enough to keep me going but it doesn't and more than once i have had to call my mother or someone to be here cause i thought i was going to die or something so just hang in there and your not alone at all i promise

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:58 pm

I just got up and was freaking out from a deep sleep with the same type fears. I have been doing this since November and really got to a pretty good place off meds and going out in the world with my wife. Now it all has flooded back I got into lesson three and felt good the holidays had come and I quit. Now the mental demons are back in full. I have restarted and it helps at times you remember the breathing and relaxation but it is a process. I HATE being alone but have found staying busy and getting small thing accomplished really help. Also know you are never alone really you are stronger than you think. Just take it in five minute steps and get busy clean a closet organize a drawer any accomplishment is good.Also a walk or excercise can be great for getting your body to get more flexable and not so tight like it feels we you get anxious. Hope this helps

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”