sinus and anxiety "help"

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
c.kays75

Post by c.kays75 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:11 am

i have constant sinus and allergy problems i do everything i am suppose to do for it including useing a netty pot for cleansing the sinuses, anyway my problem is that i've noticed when im all stuffed up and such that generally gets the anxiety train rolling, even that i know it's just sinus problems my anxiety takes over and starts worrying for no reason so is this normal and if so all information would be appreciated, that and when im like this it is next to impossible when your head feels like a good year blimp to focuse on or do anything "desperatly seeking advice, or someone with the same problems to reply" thanks

Post by Guest » Wed May 05, 2010 2:27 am

I have bad sinus problems, too. Mine actually make me dizzy so I can completely understand what you are saying. I just keep telling myself its the sinues not anything else that is wrong with me. It doesn't work all of the time and I have episodes of panic, but as long as I keep telling myself this it does help. I'm only in week 2 of the program and am trying to remember all of the steps especially the breathing. I'm sorry I don't have any better advice, but it is a comfort to know that I'm not alone and neither are you.

Post by Guest » Wed May 05, 2010 8:01 am

Originally posted by c.kays75:
i have constant sinus and allergy problems i do everything i am suppose to do for it including useing a netty pot for cleansing the sinuses, anyway my problem is that i've noticed when im all stuffed up and such that generally gets the anxiety train rolling, even that i know it's just sinus problems my anxiety takes over and starts worrying for no reason so is this normal and if so all information would be appreciated, that and when im like this it is next to impossible when your head feels like a good year blimp to focuse on or do anything "desperatly seeking advice, or someone with the same problems to reply" thanks
I have sinus flare ups & the anxiety makes them worse. I have started taking a tbs. of local honey. I live in South Georgia the pollen is out of this world right not, but a locally made honey has helped

Post by Guest » Wed May 05, 2010 9:08 am

Hi c.kays75! I wish I had some "help" for you but I can only sympathize. I struggle with allergies and sinus problems almost all the time but it is a "chicken or egg" situation for me! Sometimes I am dizzy/lightheaded or "spacey" (I call it cloudy-headed) from sinuses and it makes me feel like something horrible is wrong so the anxiety starts. Then, sometimes I have a panic attack and my sinus problems get worse so I don't which thing comes first! I guess they just feed off of each other. I use a neti pot, too and it does help but never goes away completely. I am also from south GA and I have heard that regional honey helps with allergies, I am waiting to get some now. Sorry this is not helpful but at least you know you are not alone.

Post by Guest » Wed May 05, 2010 12:17 pm

Hi there! I deal with the same thing too. I also use the Neti Pot and a nasal spray. Been to different drs. and they just tell me the same thing. Nasal spray, neti pot, zyrtec, etc., etc., etc. :roll:

I even went to a ENT doctor - same thing. They said that is the way it is in the Stress so deal with it or move. I am considering moving.....

Sooooo for now, I use Vicks under my nose at night when my nose gets stuffy. And I also sometimes get anxious about it as when you feel like you can't breathe it isn't fun! I also sometimes get the dizziness, sinus pressure, the whole kit and kaboodle. My aunt also recommended the local honey but I have tried it yet.

Just keep trying different things and hopefully you will find something that helps you. Just know that you are not alone and ALOT of people are really struggling right now.

Post by Guest » Thu May 06, 2010 2:32 am

I'm very familiar with this. I've had it happen and its really annoying and on top of that i would also get really fatigued.

Having anxiety supresses both the immune and digestive systems so it's harder for us to break down heavy foods and eliminate mucous. In chinese medicine they call this dampness. The biggest contributer of dampness is dairy and soy. The best way to deal with this is to cut out dairy and soy the best that you can and for the first little while incorporate lemons into your diet. You could squeeze the juice from lemons into water or over a salad. It really does help. There might also be an issue with bowel movements that could affect your ability to remove mucous and cause you to be stuffed. Same thing with the diet plus cardio and the relaxation exercises on the relaxation cd. It really does work, i'm speaking from experience not just some google searching.

Mike

Post by Guest » Thu May 06, 2010 4:35 am

I too have a Neti-pot and that little thing works wonders! However after I use it I feel my ears clog up and my brain feels a littl bit like its floating in jelly and then I'm back to square one.

Sometimes Spring can be really great and other times I feel like its a losing battle. Have you tried taking an over the counter allergy medicine too?? I know pollen counts are sky high this year all over the world.

Post by Guest » Fri May 07, 2010 6:24 pm

Hi Everyone :) :) :),
I have always suffered from sinus problems, allergies and inner ear problems!!!

Every single time my physician looks into my ears, he says, "Do you know you have fluid behind your ear drums"...LOLOLOLOL

As if I can't feel all that built up pressure, and my heart beating in my ears!!!

I did read something on the internet, once, about how sinus problems and ear problems seem to go hand in hand with anxiety!!!

It said something about these physical ailments can actually give you anxiety!!!

I wish I had bookmarked that page, because it sure would have come in very handy tonight...

I just felt the need to share these things with each of you!!!

Maybe, someone on here can find that site and do a little "research" on these things!!!

Have a beautiful night dear friends!!!

Post by Guest » Fri May 07, 2010 6:33 pm

BTW: Ninja, I had not read your response, when I posted this one!!!

I do not do the relaxation CD anymore...But, when I think about it; I do not think I suffered as badly with these things, when I was doing the exercises, or I may not have suffered at all...I really can not remember, since it has been sooo long, since I did the program...

Thanks soooo much for the reminder...

I may have to pick that "relaxation" CD back up again and begin listening to it!!!

Post by Guest » Sat May 08, 2010 1:43 pm

Wow, another revelation...have never associated my sinus problems with my anxiety/depression. Also use neti-pot, it helps some, but can't find anything that completely cures it.

I'm moving to Colorado at the end of the month and I'm hoping that climate will help my sinus problems!

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”