Hi my name is...

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:16 pm

Hi, my name is Teresa. I posted to another forum also - not realizing this is where I needed to be. I just started the program. After listening to the first CD, I had so much anxiety, that I did not want to deal with lesson 1 at all. I went on to the 2nd CD and I will say it helped me a lot. I have general anxiety. It comes and goes. It usually comes when I have to give a speech or I am talking in front of a large group of people (meetings, etc.) I really hope this program works. I am so tired of feeling this way.

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:14 pm

Hi Teresa W. I think I met you in I guess Its another forum My deal was constant confussion. I wrote a book over there why I quit my job. If you go back over there you might need something to drink not alcohol or cafeine though that does'nt go along with our program.I guess I have'nt figured out how to get rid of meriam. Oh well what does it matter anyway. Im gonna find out how to put a picture on here one day but for now I am sleepy.One thing I wanted to say about session 2 I like what Lucinda says "When you focus on the here and now,it is difficult to feel either stress or worry."

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:31 am

Heh ... glad I'm not the only one posting in the archived forum. Confusion ... and it's not even related to my anxiety! :p

Here's what I posted there. Just wanted to say hi and wish everyone well! Not crazy about how downbeat a lot of these posts are. I'm excited about this program. I know it will work for me. Anyway, here's what I posted:

Hello! I am 36 yo woman. I had bad panic attacks and agoraphobia back when I was 19 yo and recovered through a similar program of cognitive behavior therapy. I had a reccurence of panic and anxiety about five years after that point, during a particularly stressful time in my life, but was able to recover again. I was anxiety and panic free for the better part of 10 years, so I am proof that these types of programs work.

In late fall 2009, I suffered an injury and was initially misdiagnosed with a tumor. I was in an incredible amount of pain and the worry and tension I piled onto that led to a panic attack during an MRI. I was also prescribed prednisone. After about three weeks, I was in a completely manic state, which medication relieved. I had surgery during this time and am on the mend, physically. I have returned to work. However, I am left with generalized anxiety. It's odd for me, because my problems in the past had always been with panic. This anxiety seems to sit with me all day, every day. Fun!

I ordered this program b/c the program I used in the past was very focused on panic attacks. I feel I need a different approach to conquer generalized anxiety. I am also under a doctor's care, although I have weened myself down to 1/2 Ativan tablet daily. I read Lucinda's book about panic and found lots of good tips. I related to her feelings of bewilderment and confusion (what I think of as being a conehead; I'm trying to find the humor here!). I thought -- and my therapist agrees -- that putting myself through a more structured program would reap me great benefits at this point. I am hoping so!

I have had this anxiety now for 4 months, and I am eager to move past it and get on with my life. I was an active traveler -- traveled the world, often alone -- with a full social life, but I have definitely retreated into a shell in the past few months. I would like to emerge from that shell healthy and confident. :-)

Good luck to all! I think dedication, patience, and lots of practice will pay off for us. Stay positive!

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:27 pm

Hey Meriam,
No worries. I am feeling much better and definately taking things a lot slower and really going easier on myself. I know I have lived with anxiety for awhile now, so getting used to a different way of life will take practice and persistence, as we all may know. So I went on a little vacation recently and have been unable to post for awhile, but I am back and ready to start back up with the program again. Hope all is well with everyone :)

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:07 pm

Hi...I started the program in February and I have posted all over the place, wherever it goes I don't know. I just found this and hope I can find it again. I'm going really slow in the program, went from 4 back to 3. I went through 10 years of complete destruction of my life as I had always known it. I thought I got through it pretty well, but recently since I started my new life I'm looking for disasters everywhere, living in fear (of what?) So anxiety grinds on, sometimes all day background fearful chatter! I am learning how to stop it and get back to reality now, getting out more, feeling more alive. I have two horses and am trying to become part of equine community here in Arizona. That's my goal, just to make friends and do fun things. I spend too much time alone...although I have 2 horses, 2 dogs, 3 chickens, and one cat! So I'm never really alone, and they always like me 'cause I feed them, LOL.

Post by Guest » Mon May 03, 2010 11:47 pm

heheh haha to funny!

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:10 am

Hello everyone!
I am very new to this program. I recently read "From Panic to Power" and decided that I should give the program a shot. I have a VERY supportive husband (he suffers from MANY anxieties as well) and seven year old son. I teach as well, and have noticed that the anxieties are starting to carry over into my job performance. I have finally come to the realization that the continual cycle must be stopped. I am definitely ready for change.
I would have to say that I am probably the most negative person I know. My reasoning for the negative thoughts was, "if you expect the worse, then you are not as disappointed in the end". It has come to the point where my friends comment on my negative moods and I don't want to be known as the "Debbie Downer". I suffer from very low self-esteem and secretly long to be liked and accepted by all. One of my biggest fears would have to be being judged by others and being perceived as ignorant (even typing this post. I fear of a grammatical/spelling mistake that could cause someone to think less of me).I also suffered a miscarriage a couple of years ago, which has only added to the "nothing ever goes right for me" attitude, guilty feelings, depression and has dramatically lowered my already low, self-esteem.
After reading some of the post, I realize that I am not in this alone and am not the only person who feels these same feelings. I believe that God has guided me to this program and that I owe it to myself and everyone around me to become the best person that I can become. Especially my seven year old son and husband!

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:56 am

Sounds to me like the positive is coming out. wWth a screen name like that, you are well on your way. I am the other side of the coin, I am the husband with the anxiety and my wife is my support system. She has been tremendous! (She has some anxieties , too) I also have a 7 yr old, along with a 5 yr old and it is tough to feel like I can't give my 100% to them. I feel like I come home from work and I am stuck between needing to lock myself in a room and finding the energy to spend quality time with the kids and wife. I love the time I spend with them, but sometimes I feel that anxiety nagging at me and my attention gets drawn inward....like I am not part of whats going on around me. I hate it, but that is why I am here! I want to be that better father, that better husband, that better friend......there is a better way to live and we need to work hard to get there.
Good Luck and Stay Strong!!

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:11 am

Thanks for the encouragement JD1973. Good luck to you, as well!

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”