Help... Suggestions? Questions?

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
Debs33

Post by Debs33 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:19 am

I'm new to this site and program. I'm onto session 4. I'm having a hardtime believing that all self esteem issue are anxiety driven. I've been postive most of my life. I lead a healthy life style I work out daily eat healthy watch sugar and caffeine and have had horrible bouts of anxiety on and off since I was 14. I'm now 40. I've never been on medication and never want to. I guess I what I'm saying is I'm a bit skeptical of all of this. I don't feel it's all self esteem attached. Is this what the whole progam is based on? One question is what are some common symptoms before an Attack? I've had an attack when with friends laughing etc.. They just sneak up on you and rob you of any enjoyment and you never know when this may happen. I don't have a pre---warning sign?? With that being said I could also be feeling really good about myself that day. What gives? I've always been a hypocondriac. I hate this about myself and am always living under the "Impending doom" like something bad is going to happen. I've tend to go in and out of this. Right now I've been seeing doctors for dizzyness and off balance/ uncordinated walking issues. So I know I feel particulary worse right now. I'm soo tired of the way I feel. Most of all I believe self esteem is great and healthy but I don't believe it's the main culprit of Anxiety. It's biogical too so with that being said it's not under "ARE" control correct??? Please help me to understand this. I'm tired of my quality of life. Really TIRED....

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:46 am

Hey Debs33,

I see you're in Chicago too. It's cold right? LOL

I've been dealing with lightheadedness for a long time. It won't hurt you. You just have too much stress right now. Try not to focus on it like I was doing. It get better.

There's a book by Claire Weekes called "Hope and help for your nerves". It's been such a great help to me and so many others!

Do you have the program?

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:51 am

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into the book. Yes, I just got the progam.

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:17 am

deedee00 That's the same book my psychiatrist recommended and yeah it is a very good book. I'm suprised other people know about it mostly because it is so old.

Mike

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:18 am

You would also benefit from mindfulness meditation as well. Perhaps there are some free classes where you live.

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:03 am

Hi Ninja!

I absolutely love that book! It has helped me through so much.

I'm also doing meditation now. I'm a beginner though. :D So i'm not really good at it yet.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:35 am

Likewise, I'm also a beginner. I'm still trying to make meditation a daily thing.

Mike

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:36 am

Hey everyone. I just looked at the book on amazon.
does it really help?
and may i ask how? im waiting on the program and i am seeing a therapist. My anxiety and nerves just hit within the last two months. so im Fairly new. Just looking for self help as well as with the therapist.
any suggestions?
deedee,may ia ask what type of anxiety do u have?
Ninja,do u find that meditation helps?

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:09 am

I understand that you are skeptical but yes it really does help. It explains things in order to remove the fear of them. It speaks about things like the feelings of unreality, the dull feelings and many other important things. I actually just purchased another of her books called "Peace From Nervous Suffering". I haven't read any of it yet but i did check out the Table of contents and it looks pretty good. They talk more about the symptoms and there are even journal entries of people who were recovering and have recovered.

Meditation has lowered my anxiety level the best. I still notice rapid heart beat but it is alot slower than it usually is and I was really concerned with how long it would take. I have alot of trouble standing in lines and waiting, it gives me lots of anxiety but when i do the meditation, the time goes by quick and then i think to myself "that's it?". That's how it is with the mindfulness meditation but using the relaxation cd, I do not have the same experience. I also find it even more effective when i do the progressive muscle relaxation just before the meditation.

Mike

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:17 am

hey Mike
Do u think that the nervous racey feeling within is anxiety also? I feel like im racing 24 /7 sometimes now. Not s much panicking,but i knw if i dont calm myself down i can work myself up into anxiety or panic.
smetimes i wake up nervous and that just starts the day.which is horrible

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”