New to program

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
Margk54

New to program

Post by Margk54 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:15 pm

Hello. I just started the program 2 weeks ago and did section 1,2 and 3. I’m finding that some of the sections really don’t appear to apply to me but sections 9 and 10 do. Can I skip to those sections for the time being because I really need help with those issues right now.

I’m planning on bringing your program to my psychiatrist this week to show him. Is there anything I should share with him about the program that would be helpful to me? Thank you for any assistance.

Bryce_in_TX

Re: New to program

Post by Bryce_in_TX » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:10 pm

Hi, Marg and welcome to the forum. I don't know what to tell you about skipping parts of the Program. And sorry for just now seeing your post.

Lesson 3: Self talk, teaches to write down negative thoughts that really bother you. That would include any thoughts that make you feel guilty, cause you to worry, scare you, or any obsessive thoughts, as well an anxious or depressing thoughts. Once you have some thoughts identified, the goal is to come up with loving, compassionate, truthful thoughts that will replace the ones that are bothering you. Writing down the loving, compassionate, positive thoughts will help the negative ones become less powerful to you over time.

This is really the key to overcoming anxiety and/or depression. This is called journaling and it is a continual process, not a one time thing or a one week thing. That's what lesson 3 teaches, how to go about this.

So, I'm kind of lost with what your thoughts are on lesson 3, and the program overall. I really think that going through the whole program in sequence would be advisable, but that's totally up to you.

Another part of Lesson 3 is learning about forgiveness and what that means as it applies to you and to others. Forgiveness is also a "biggy" in learning to let go of negative thoughts. People with guilt or worry, anxiety, or depression tend to not forgive themselves but rather beat themselves up continually for things that have happened in the past. Lesson 3 covers this also.

There are a number of parts to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy or CBT, not just one or two. Learning what they all are is beneficial whether all of them benefit you equally or not.

The Program is based on CBT pretty much as it is taught by anyone else who is an authority on CBT, such as Dr. David Burns. If you are new to CBT it will take some time for it all to sink in. Other books on CBT could be of benefit also. I didn't learn it all from just the Program.

Hope you find benefit from the Stresscenter Program as you work with it. :D
"Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man, but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

Napoleon Hill

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”