switching careers and anxiety

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
joe7137

switching careers and anxiety

Post by joe7137 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:47 pm

Where do I begin? :lol: Firstly, I would like to thank Lucinda for creating this program and other members for their valuable input. I'll try to keep it short. I started having anxiety 7 years ago, but it was primarily due to certain situations and was manageable. Panic attacks and bouts of crying only happened about 6 times since then; however, I recently took a turn in my career as a part-time lecturer at a community college (my dream job) to a full-time middle school teacher (big difference. I know). The first month was ok, but I could tell anxiety was swelling up, and I ended up having more frequent bouts of crying, insomnia, depression, and anxiety. The workload, atmosphere, my classroom management (for 3 periods of the 6), and evaluations were incredibly stressful to say the least. I should note that it was my first full-time career and clearly it was a huge change. I lasted 6 months at this new job after using anxiety and insomnia meds, seeking counseling, and making changes in my lifestyle (exercising every day, eating healthily, and having bed time routines). I felt like I tried everything to stick it through, but not only was I experiencing all of the above symptoms, I simply wasn't happy nor was I effective at managing certain periods. The sad thing, really, is that students could act anyway they pleased and no consequences were administered. I was left to going through a three step process of warnings, but troublesome students would have to remain in my class; as a result, virtually no teaching was accomplished for 3 periods. After turning in my resignation, I can confidently say that my anxiety and depression as a result of my job is zero, zilch, nada! My concern, now, is dealing with anxious feelings from not knowing what career to pursue. The following are some questions I have for those of us who deal with anxiety and depression.

1) I am wondering, for anyone who's gone through a similar situation in their career (or better yet as a teacher), would you recommend switching careers? How does a person know if certain situations (like teaching middle school) are too overwhelming and should be avoided?

***normally, I must say. The biggest triumph for me when dealing with anxiety is to persevere through a situation. I've experienced this with driving where I had anxiety as a result of travelling long distances. I can happily admit that after forcing myself to take long road trips, I experience very little anxiety in this situation. For me, it takes the humility of opening up to the driver about my anxious feelings, needing restroom breaks, and preparing myself through relaxation. Overall though, I've come a long, long way in this situation. I mention this because I am not certain if fighting through a work situation (i.e. middle school) will have the same positive results. Are some careers simply wrong for me? Back to my questions.

2) I also have an MA in English and would love to teach at a community college full time, but it feels rather hopeless. What other careers could I choose?

3) If I choose to go back to school, does anyone have recommendations? I've considered mental health social work, but I am not certain if this is the right environment because I hear from various people in the field that social work is just as stressful. This last question is broad, I know, but any support you can give is welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading my post, and I am glad I am on the road to recovery. I hope I can be of considerable help to those who also tackle anxiety and depression as well. :)

coachchris

Re: switching careers and anxiety

Post by coachchris » Tue May 28, 2019 7:13 pm

HI Joe,
Thank you for your recent post.
A couple quick questions..... are you new to the program and if so how far into it are you?
The reason I ask is the later lessons of 13 and 14 are key to stress management. I found the tools and the truths from those two lessons very valuable for continued growth and healthy self-management.

I have coached a lot of teachers over the years and it isn't uncommon for it to take several different classroom experiences to find your niche. I wouldn't give it up. Stay positive, build on your strengths and continue to grow as a person. It's a beautiful to discover who we are without negative thinking and anxiety making all of the decisions for us. Lastly, never make a decision based in fear. Stick with facts and if you're a spiritual person pray and have faith.

I look forward to your reply,
Coach Chris

joe7137

Post by joe7137 » Tue May 28, 2019 11:44 pm

Hi Chris,
Yes, I am new to the program. I just finished week 1, and I am looking forward to more from Lucinda. Her relaxation CD's have been such a great help as well. Thank you for the positive motivation. Indeed, I am a spiritual person and have been praying about my decision as well as seeking counseling. It's a big decision, I know, and I trust that God will lead in the right direction. In fact, I believe having gratitude is one of the things anxiety has taught me more about, and for this reason I'd like to thank you just for replying. Whatever decision I make, I believe it will be the right one. Ok, I have several weeks to go before getting to 13 and 14 of the program, and I realize that one bad experience shouldn't dictate my decision. I've been giving it a lot of thought for the last 11 months now, and in addition to the anxiety, depression, insomnia, etc. that tagged along with my job, I am just uncertain I am actually cut out for secondary teaching. Thanks again.

coachchris

Post by coachchris » Wed May 29, 2019 3:37 pm

HI Joe,

I am so excited for you to get more into the program. Go slow and follow the recommended weekly schedule. If you like the relaxation cd you're going to LOVE lesson two.

Keep praying and trusting. God will guide you :)
Let me know if you need anything. I would love to have a free coaching call with you if you want to chat over the phone.

Blessings
Coach Chris

katieshrp@yahoo.com

Post by katieshrp@yahoo.com » Mon May 04, 2020 11:31 pm

Hi Joe,

I have a long career in teaching at high school and elementary and it has been fruitful however the last few years it’s been over the top stressful. There are so many changes happening in the world and it affects the students and the adults.

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”