Starting a group run through of the program

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
Ninjafrodo2

Starting a group run through of the program

Post by Ninjafrodo2 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:38 pm

Hey its been awhile since the last time I've gone through the program and I've gained alot of knowledge and insight since. I bought this program in 2004 and have done it off and on for the last 9 years, I've gotten alot out of it but it seemed like I needed to learn a few more things before I was able to fully overcome the anxiety and depression and so now i'm back again and ready to face it!

I've gained many more tools and information since I first started and am willing to share this with people who are interested in going through this program with me.

I'm hoping to find people who really want to create the life for themselves that they've always dreamed (even if they don't know how they can make it happen right now).

I'm hoping to find people who aren't willing to stay stuck any longer and have the thirst for something more.

I'm hoping to find people who want to make life easier for themselves and make it easier to handle whatever challenges they face through empowering themselves and giving them exactly what they need in order to do those things.

I'm hoping to find people who could use encouragement from others and that can benefit from a group approach.

If you can see yourself fitting into any of these even remotely (even if its only 10% accurate) then please feel free to join.

Ninjafrodo2

Re: Starting a group run through of the program

Post by Ninjafrodo2 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:45 pm

the group run through will work like this...each week we start on a new lesson and we will move the thread to that appropriate lesson section (ie. Week 3 will be on week3 of the forums) and it will be easy to identify what it is as the beginning part will be the same (ie. Group program run through- lesson 3). I shall call it the Group Empowerment Program Run-through.

In it we can talk about our experiences, share our goals, talk about our motivations, share answers from the exercises, talk about what jumped out at us through the audio parts of the program or through the workbook part and we can even share music, storys and video that co-relates to that lesson as well.

Mike
(The Original Ninjafrodo)

mmwillie928

Post by mmwillie928 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:47 pm

hey Mike, i like this idea.
will you be waiting a while for more replies to start?
i have been wanting to go through the program again for quite some time now. i havent had the motivation though. i would stop go stop go stop go through it. at one point i reached week 15. so i have completed it, i believe it has great things to learn, and here and there i have kept some of the tools in my life. but, i still feel hindered by anxiety. i have also felt like a group could be a helpful tool to me. in fact, a friend who is in AA has tried to encourage me to go with her, i have gone a few times but not kept up with it. they have a lot of similarities to the anxiety program. anyway, i look forward to hearing back from you, and would love to hear what other insightful things you have learned outside of the program as well.

Ninjafrodo2

Post by Ninjafrodo2 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:18 pm

mmwillie, thank you for the message and yeah after I completed the program the first time around I didn't fully incorporate all that I had learned and I ended up stopping with the relaxation and I went back not completely to who I was before but maybe 60% and then after that I ended up doing the stop go, stop go thing many times and well I had my resistance patterns which I couldn't seem to overcome and well that stuff happens. There are many reasons why we resist what might help us and many times those things are subconscious. Did you know that guilt itself of not following through can actually keep you from not following through (beating yourself up for not doing something for example)? How do you feel about your efforts with the stopping and going?

Motivation can be challenging to muster especially if you're trying to do things on your own, it does help to be able to relate with other people through your healing journey as you're going through it.

I was planning to start lesson 1 right away but it did take awhile for my registration to be approved so i'm planning to start on monday.

forever young 06

Post by forever young 06 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:47 am

are you the same ninja that used to be on here a long time ago? If so you put a lot of insight into the program back then. I enjoyed reading the post way back then and the ones that was on here. I wish I could be moviated to start the program I never went thru it like I should have I use to just listen to the tapes and look at the work book some. I took ADS for yrs and went off them thinking I was well and fell way back down in ways I didn't think I could.

THH

Post by THH » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:55 am

Hello!
Long time since I have been on here as well. I did the program several times. I learned many things and yet still am at times struggling with anxiety. I would love to go again, I have thought about it but never found the motivation to do so. So happy to do it as a group, I think that helped me most. So cool to see "Mike" & "forever young" familiar names!

I had to get a new password as who knows what the last one was.

I can be a negative thinker and it is a big struggle for me. Look at a donut and see the hole instead of the whole donut. Always trying to do the right things make perfect choices in many areas. Getting hung up on what the right thing is. Control - excepting so much of my life is not in my control. Embracing older age. Most of my anxiety is triggered by health and my fear of sickness. Goals setting them as I need help there. So yes!!! I am excited to go though this again. That is goal #1. LOL...

I'll be happy to be a support, and I know I will get things out of going through it again.

Ninjafrodo2

Post by Ninjafrodo2 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:27 pm

wow Forever young you are still around, thats cool and i'm really glad you enjoyed the posts the last time around!

What do you find stops you from being motivated to do the program the way you think is the right way?

THH
nice to see you back too!

I see you are still struggling with the health issues and the anxiety symptoms still (I have carried the anxiety symptom struggles along with me as well).

Ninjafrodo2

Post by Ninjafrodo2 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:43 pm

All:
There are a couple new elements I will add to the run through as well that I have picked up along my own journey that I think are very important and things that I didn't have the other times I went through the program that are actually quite vital to growth.

One thing i'm going to say is that everything we do is an attempt to fulfill needs that we have...some of those things are destructive and don't actually fully fill the needs and some of the are productive and they do. Some of the resistance that come up for instance can be a way to keep us fulfilling our need for security by avoiding anything outside our comfort zone, there might be resistance to building up confidence in yourself and your own self-esteem because there might be a perceived threat of losing the caring, love attention of the ones around us....and so on and so forth. Whats important is not just to push forth and do everything in the program and ignore these resistances and the feelings that come up as well but to recognize them, feel them and then see them for what they really are...also its important not only to work on changing but to work on changing while making sure you are either meeting your needs to working towards getting them met.

...you know those feelings of lackings and disatisfaction you might be experiencing? You might try to ignore them, you might try to tell yourself you shouldn't feel that, or you try to deny them...well they are ment to be there and those feelings come up because your needs are not being met or even accepted. Also I want to add that even though its important to get needs met, its more important to acknowledge and focus on that you do have these needs....that in itself is a step to getting them met...and I have a few suggestions about how to do that.

There is also an accepting, compassionate, self-loving element that I find important (and also love is a need we all have) that I plan to touch on and I have techniques and exercises that I will also throw into the program run through.

Just like the program the change is a gradual one...it starts off easy and it can get more challenging as we go on but the accomplishments we get from the beginning will create some momentum and my suggestions and exercises will be the same...it starts off from the beginning and it can get more challenging as we go on.

Mike

Ninjafrodo2

Post by Ninjafrodo2 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:53 am

We start on Monday!!!

Ninjafrodo2

Post by Ninjafrodo2 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:59 pm

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”