Socializing

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
missyrachy

Socializing

Post by missyrachy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:01 am

I went through this program 10 years ago and it helped me get back into life. I have had other set backs and here I am going through it again. I am really shut off socially. Which is bad since I have a young daughter I do not want her to be like I am! So I made the attempt to reach out to one of her classmates parents so we could get together with the kids. My daughter is only 4. So the mom called to get together this weekend. 0OOOOOH NOOO

UGH.

I am going to do it. This is going to be a huge deal for me. I know I will be ok; I am JUST SO not looking forward to it. All things social for me are an uphill battle. I don't know the mom or the kids my daughter is good friend with them through her daycare. I know we will have fun and so what if we don't? that'll be ok. I am so flipping awkward. lol. not to mention i also have poor hearing... yaaa...

DREAD. Like coming here it'd be nice if someone had a magic wand answer that would allow for me to totally avoid this.

Times like this I think I need medication. :| Its the obsessive worrying and negative energy.

STOP....

missyrachy

Re: Socializing

Post by missyrachy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:36 pm

I went. It was ok. I was ok.. I took antianxiety med first so I wouldn't be totally in my own head. I dragged my ex with me because it was clear that the mom was bringing her husband. I just felt weird about that. Now I feel like I gave her the wrong impression about me and my ex. They want to invite US over sometime. Umm ya no... :(

deb123

Re: Socializing

Post by deb123 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:25 am

I know this is an old post, but I think you did great. Doing this for your daughter is a wonderful thing.
I hope it's still going well for you.
It's hard to socialize and having someone we think is a safe person can help, even though it sometimes puts us in a sticky situation.

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”