repetative negative thoughts. feedback please?

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
coley429

repetative negative thoughts. feedback please?

Post by coley429 » Fri May 31, 2013 2:08 am

Hi, i've posted many questions on here hoping for genuine answers and never get answers or advice so i'm hoping someone could finally answer my questions. :cry: i've noticed that most of my negative thoughts are the same 6 or 7 thoughts over and over again just phrased in different ways. So my question is would it still be effective to have my negative and replacement thoughts written down and just re reading them whenever that thought popped in my head? also, how many of you have had a hard time realizing when you were being negative and what thoughts were negative? what helped to track them more easily? i have tried so many times but honestly the only negative thoughts i really have are always the same ones. there are rarely new ones or at least i don't notice them.

time4me

Re: repetative negative thoughts. feedback please?

Post by time4me » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:19 pm

I have had the same problems. I looked at my list of neg thoughts, and found the same themes over and over. so I made a list of the positive responses. I made the positive rebuttal longer than the neg thought. I read all 6 every day, several times during the day. then I have the pos thoughts recorded by natural voice recorder on my mp3. I listen to that right after my relaxation tape. I do that 3 times a day.
so eventually I will hear the positive dialog over and over to help my thoughts go to the positive side.
these positives thoughts will take time to take over the other neg thinking. but I know I am doing a good reinforcement practice to overcome it. I feel better this way, and know I am heading in the right direction and the payoff will come later. I understand now that a negative thought is one that makes you feel lousy, tired, less than good. when you read the neg thought you put down, ask yourself how can saying this to myself, help me in anyway? If it does not, it is most likely neg and change it over to the positive so it can build you up and make you feel better. I am hoping in the next few weeks, I will feel awhole lot better. Hope this has helped by telling you what I am doing to help myself.

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”