How to control nerves (voice) while speaking to a group

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
rocky88

How to control nerves (voice) while speaking to a group

Post by rocky88 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:28 am

Hi all....

I'm a newcomer to the program. My stress & anxiety comes from what I do for a living - sales & having to talk in front of people (and to an extent) talking to a new customer whom I've never met before.

All the symptoms and triggers that are mentioned in the program are there and for years, my methods of dealing with this problem has been avoidance - not a good thing if you want to get ahead & be successful. As I've grown older, this failure to deal with the problem head on has only made it worse so I'm really hopeful that by facing my fears and learning how to deal with the feelings that I experience, I'll get beyond this roadblock and find success.

The relaxation techniques are really a great starting point. I've been using them for a couple of weeks and can feel a change already.

One thing I'd like to ask is how to handle and get control of myself when the nervousness pops up while sitting with someone (a potential client) or giving a presentation and the shaky, nervous voice starts. I've had it so many times over the years and it has definitely gotten worse. The tightness begins, I can feel and hear my words getting muttled as the adreneline picks up. I've tried breathing, cracking a few jokes to side step the situation, and other things just to get thru it.

I know I'm not alone and that this is a pretty common thing but could certainly use any other advice or "tips" for dealing twith a situation like this.....

coachjanine

Re: How to control nerves (voice) while speaking to a group

Post by coachjanine » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:42 pm

Hi there Rocky 88. I'm glad you found the program and you are working towards feeling better. You can breathe in for 4 seconds, hold your breath for 2 seconds, and breath out for 6 seconds. Do this for a couple of minutes if possible. A relaxed body cannot be anxious. Also Ask yourself "What makes somebody better than somebody else? Education, money, self confidence, a fit body, etc... Those may be all good things, but do these things really make somebody else "better" than us? We are all the same, and we each have individual traits that make us who we are. Celebrate you and the wonderful person you are!
Best Wishes to you!

Janine

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”