Go back on meds or is this SSRI withdrawl??

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
aknight

Go back on meds or is this SSRI withdrawl??

Post by aknight » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:25 pm

A little backstory!

My first panic attack was October 2009. Before that I had SOME anxiety but I didnt dwell on the physical symtpoms and it went away. AFTER the attack I was awful! Every physical symptom I dwelled on. I started Zoloft 50 mg. I tapered of in May of 2010 completely and by July 2010 after alot of stress it was BACK! With a vengence. I was afreiad to travel, drive far from the house, and ALWAYS in a heightened state of anxiety (I only had a couplepanic attacks but the FEAR of them was with me all the time). I went back on 20 mg of Celexa with my new therapist and we started some CBT (basically talking through things, me making trips in the car alone< what would I do if I panicked etc). I also have tons of relaxation tapes etc. SO fast forward I was feeling great. I finally made a 2 hour driving trip alone TWICE. I wasnt worried, etc. Started tapering off celexa this June 2012 and fully off a month later. BAM three weeks later after a bunch of stress Im awful again. I have been trying to do relaxation and it works somewhat. Some days are ok and others NOT. I incorporated progressive relaxation, journaling, wokring on session 2 of program, deep breathing, not fighting the panic. I cant even drive to the store without deep breathing and feeling off for awhile. My friends shower was today 2 hours away and I couldnt even drive myself. HECK I barely made it there with someone driving me. The .25 mg xanax I took didnt work for like 1 hour of the drive lol. I find that I CAN talk myself out of panic nearby and at home without xanax but on trips NO WAY and we travel alot often 4 hours.

Anyway I went of the celexa to try and get pregnant. Now Im wondering... did I taper to quickly (.5 for a week, .25 for a week, .25 every other day for 2 weeks)? Should I go back on 10 mg and stay on for awhile while I work the program. I feel like Im constantly battling myself and Im getting depressed now......My depression is always secondary to my anxiety. Some have told me give it another month this could be withrawl....

Ana

coachchris

Re: Go back on meds or is this SSRI withdrawl??

Post by coachchris » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:00 am

Hi Ana,

It sounds like a combinations of coming off of meds, high stress and then the additional worry we add to the mix. You mentioned having the 'fear of them' all of the time. This is very common and part of that negative cycle we get in by trying to 'control' the anxiety/adrenalin.

The more we whatif and worry the more adrenalin we push and the negative spiral continues. It's really important that we understand the mind/body connection to get our power back. I hear you working hard at relaxation, breathing, under-reacting and floating. This is your way out. There is nothing to fight or fear. This takes a lot of practice and many of us use anti-anxiety meds during this time.

Curious if you have any PMS? How is your diet and exercise? Last question, what tools do you use to manage stress?

I would love to talk with you more if you would like to schedule a free coaching call just private message me and we can get you on the schedule.

Thanks for your post!!
Coach Chris

aknight

Re: Go back on meds or is this SSRI withdrawl??

Post by aknight » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:02 pm

Hey Chris

went to see doctor and he suggested doing half the dose I was till I get pregnant and then trying not to take first trimester and third. I REALLY wanted to do this without meds . Im kinda in tears about it. I know its not giving up and I can try again BUT I feel hopeless about it. He even used the words severe case of panic disorder (given that I feel a high incidence of anxiety daily and even higher is stressor situations such as driving which is always the stressor since first panic was 4 hours from home in the car lol) and that likely Id need the meds lifelong... lifelong..ugh

Anyway Im pretty in the gloom right now. I just cant seem to get the anxiety down no matter what breathing I do, no matter how much I make myself drive to places, workout, vitamins, do negative thought excersizes. He said what worries him is my daily physical symptoms of the anxiety. Im not scared of anything at home and will still feel like tight chest, breathing, etc. It comes a goes in waves but still is there and has been for 2 weeks.

Anyway he doesnt think I fear fear panic attacks and hes right I dont really BUT I still fight the anxiety and dont want to HAVE a panic attack and I dont just let it be. It does still scare me. So maybe with somemore serious work I can go off of it in a couple months.

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”