Feeling unmotivated

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
Nel01073

Feeling unmotivated

Post by Nel01073 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:30 pm

Last week I got sick and had to pause the program for a couple of days. Now that im trying to pick up where I left off, I cant seem to do it. I was already feeling tired and unmotivated before I got sick sick but now its even worse. Im just feeling overwhelmed with all the tasks in the workbook witing down the negativate thoughts etc. im trying but I havent been changing my negative thoughts into positive lately. I dont want to pause the program again(last year I only got to sess 4) but im struggling to keep going. If anyone has some advice id really appreciate it.

Iwillbebetter

Re: Feeling unmotivated

Post by Iwillbebetter » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:47 am

Nel, I can relate. I was/am feeling the same way. I also started before without finishing.. made it to 7. I also had a few days that I wasn't able to really do much in the program. Those few days made me see how easy it is to "fall back into it". They also helped me to realize if I don't keep pushing forward I am NOT going to change. This is not who I want to be, and I see now that I can be so much more!! I want to be the person I can be and I know this is the only way I'm going to get there. The first time I let myself get "overwhelmed" with all the "work". This time I've decided to go at my own pace. I am going to start making a list of "program related" things I want/need to do when I wake or before bed. As the day goes I will work on the list. If there is anything I don't get done that will be at the top of the list for the next day. Someone here one said to me "it's not the speed that you go, but the direction that counts" That has also helped me to not get so overwhelmed with all the "work"
As for the negative thoughts, I had A LOT of trouble with that. I COULDN'T do it at first. So instead of trying to replace them, I started with just stopping them!! When they come I have a song or two that I will keep singing to myself until they are gone. One is I will just sing happy happy joy joy. After you get good at this then you can start to replace them with positive.
I hope that you can get your motivation back!! You really can make the changes within yourself!! You CAN be the person you WANT to be!! :)
"Only rainbows after rain, the sun will always come again, and it's a cirlce, circling around again it comes around again...."

Nel01073

Post by Nel01073 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:53 pm

Thanks for responding. Im doing better now. Ive been pushing myself to keep movin forward. I have to remind myself to take it one day at a time and not try to absorb the whole program at once. Im starting to realize depression could be playing a big part In how im feeling. The list is a good idea im probably gonna try it. I make lists everyday of things that need to be done. I think it would be helpful to make one of program related things. As for the negative thoughts stopping them first does help. We are so used to thinking in a negative way that itll take some time for the positive to sink in. I hope youre doing better.

Iwillbebetter

Post by Iwillbebetter » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:34 am

Glad to hear you are doing better, I am also. I have also "pushed" myself to get back into the swing of things! It was mentioned that the weather could also be playing a part in my "mood" hearing that I think also helped, as I really do think lack of sunlight really does affect those things. So after that I was able to realize that was probably a big part of it and I got myself past it. I agree, I think for some, the positives are just so un-natural it makes it almost harder.... so I think learning to just stop them, helps to stop that negative response we are so use to, which begins to make it easier to start creating the positive after some time.
I am finding the list is also helping me to see just how much I am getting done with the "program stuff" I was feeling like I wasn't doing enough, but I guess I was doing more than I realized. Not use to giving myself credit where it is due. :)
Hope you are still doing "better" :)
"Only rainbows after rain, the sun will always come again, and it's a cirlce, circling around again it comes around again...."

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”