Help!

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
DARLENEK

Help!

Post by DARLENEK » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:14 am

I have been following the program for almost 6 weeks. There are things in the program that I am working on with success, such as the anger and positive thinking.
My problem is the working through the fear. For 30 years I have had a fear of driving. Over the last several years I have gone from being pretty much home bound when I was alone, to driving and going to stores within a reasonable distance. My problem is if I have to go somewhere, I find the back roads that will get me there. I am terrified to drive on main roads, especially if I am stuck in a middle lane or have to make a left hand turn and get stuck in traffic. I go into a full blown panic.
How do you make yourself do these things when you are terrified to even try to confront them. All the positive thinking and self talk seem to fade away when you have to confront your fear in this way. What did you do?

Bakedpears

Re: Help!

Post by Bakedpears » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:48 pm

Fear is fear no matter what you are afraid of... driving, being alone, public speaking...it is a matter of dealing with your fear. Do I want fear controling my life and dictating what I am allowed to do and not allowed to do? If you want to drive, you will find the strength to confront the fear you feel when driving. Fear doesn't just stop with driving. Pretty soon it starts to control other parts of your life too. Keep listening to the CDs. Especially lesson 8 regarding what if thinking and how to make a WRITTEN plan of action. Don't let fear be your boss. Keep driving forward!

DARLENEK

Re: Help!

Post by DARLENEK » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:43 pm

Thanks for your encouragement!

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”