Open communication with another person

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
joannerodriguez

Open communication with another person

Post by joannerodriguez » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:37 am

I would like to be able to have conversation with other people experiencing "just day to day emotional stuff" and how they/we get though our productive and accountible work and parenting hours. Please let me know how I can speak to other participants? Thank yoiu.

Iwillbebetter

Re: Open communication with another person

Post by Iwillbebetter » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:30 am

There is a chat room you can always try.... although it seems there are not always people in there. Otherwise it's more just you post and or reply to others.... :)
I would be happy to discuss with you these daily things. I am in session 5. Still have good and bad days... working to make it more good than bad... I know I will get there. Having 3 kids... 2 that are always home I feel sometimes as though I'll never be able to do it... but then I remember they are part of the main reason I HAVE to do it. If I can not better myself how can I teach them??
"Only rainbows after rain, the sun will always come again, and it's a cirlce, circling around again it comes around again...."

tateman

Post by tateman » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:46 pm

i can so relate...i am so lonely i dont talk to my friends or family becouse i dont want to burden them with my problems and they dont understand becouse they dont have the same problem i have. nobody can understand anxiety and depression if they have never had a real problem with it.i am hoping this support group will help me to be able to talk with others who understand what i am going threw.i really need group therpy but i live in a small town and would have to drive a long distance to have it. if you have acsess to that it would be very helpful in my opinion. the only person i can really talk to is my husband and he can not be my only outlet. hope this works for both of us . any one with advise please reply.

Iwillbebetter

Post by Iwillbebetter » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:45 pm

tateman, I would suggest coming to this site regularlly, at least give it a try for a little while. I know how you feel, I have always been one to "hide" my feelings so I don't really have friend or family to talk with so much either. My mom and sister I talk to somewhat, but don't feel I can really "let it go" with them. None of them really know me, only what I allow. Although they are aware I am working on anxiety and depression, I do talk to them a bit... just not as much as I do/would say here.... I have found this site helpful. Even to just "get it out" sometimes can be so helpful!!
"Only rainbows after rain, the sun will always come again, and it's a cirlce, circling around again it comes around again...."

paulc54321

Post by paulc54321 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:11 pm

I''m in wk2 and my story is well lets just say deppressing. I'm a man in my late 40's and not suppose to cry and I think I went 20 plus years without doing it. I cry everyday now and it been months and is afecting me physicaly. currently unemployed and feel as tho I'm in no shape too go back to work. need to get better,want to take care of my kids and myself-anyboby with any advise?

WebAdmin
Site Admin

Post by WebAdmin » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:19 pm

Hi Paul...this is from me personally no one else but I'd rather know a man who cries a little then one who never does at all because that type of guy has no feelings at all for anything. Crying is fine, it releases pent up emotions that need to be released and once that's done then you can start taking back your life one step at a time. It's ok and doesn't matter if your 18, 90 or in your 40's it happens when we are depressed or grief stricken and is just a natural process built into each one of us so let it loose and after your done look at all the positive things in your life right now in fact count them because I'll bet you'll come up with more +'s than -'s in your life. Next breathe...yes you read that right...breathe. Count in 1001 1002 1003 1004 then exhale 1001 1002 1003 1004 and do that 4 or 5 times at least 3x a day. It's a great way to reduce stress fast and gives your mind something else to think about for a few minutes. ;)

Listen to the relaxation cd at least 3x a day as well...it really does work and was one of the key items in this program that brought me out of full depression & being stuck in my house for over 6 months afraid to go even to the mailbox 50 feet away. Study the lessons as hard as you can and do every thing they ask you to do. Keep a journal of your daily activites and stop thinking about the negative side of life & the words that go with it because that will hold you in a depressive state for as long as you continue to do it. Think about positive things, your family, your pets if you have any, what you really want to do in life, and if you can't think of anything else look around you and enjoy the tree that's growing near you or the sun that's shining above and forget the dark clouds or dead trees they aren't worth anything at all.

Paul it takes time but your life will turn forward again very soon just remember to "keep moving forward, don't turn around and look at the past in fact just bury it right now, then take another step forward...very soon that negative past will be a distant memory". It worked for me over 6 years ago it will work of you too.

Take care and may the sun shine bright on you today and the stars wink at you tonight!

12gardenia

Post by 12gardenia » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:03 pm

Ok I'll try again, I recently got this program to see what I can do to help myself and feel more like I belong. Over the years I've developed this reclusive style living alone in my home maintaining a few friends by phone occasionally like once a month or so get together for meal. Mind you at work I do talk a bit but mainly I keep to myself. The other day I was thinking that I probably couldn't really keep a conversation going as I don't like to listen to the news much anymore. I watch movies no one I'm would not even mention on TV. I just feel so bored with my self play a lot of spider solitaire while I watch TV or talk on the phone etc. It's rather taken over my life. I feel sad when my new boyfriend tells me he can't see me; and I know I will be alone for a while so I burst into tears at a drop of a hat all day long and feel so lonely, I know it won't last long because of how I am and I know I must get started so here I am. I opened the first page to the workbook and got into this section to see where I fit in. I can relate to almost every thing I read. It's overwhelming when I try and get into this but I have to start somewhere. I've listened to the self-esteem cd and cried all the way through as I did on the one with obessive thinking.... I'm here now hoping I can get through writing this so that I can post it and hopefully meet people who can relate also. And maybe help me get some kind of feedback.

coachchris

Post by coachchris » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:36 am

Hi 12Gardenia,

We are so glad to have you post and share where you are in your journey to healing. It sounds like you know you need more connections in your life, you want to feel better about yourself and become a positive, confident woman. Hooray for you!

I would start by writing out your strengths and what makes you valuable.

Follow your weekly schedule on page 9 in your guidebook. Begin with lesson 1 and just do one lesson a week.

List some places where you could get connected. Start with hobbies you like, things you enjoyed as a child and make you come alive. Some people seek a spiritual connection and look to begin healthy relationship there.

See if you can hear your inner dialog and examine it for truth. Lesson 3 will be all about selftalk so this will help you to trace your thoughts and how they make you feel. Most of us have let a lot of lies into our story and it is healing to be able to replace them with truth and compassion.

I hope this helps to get you started. I would love to have a free coaching call with you. If you would like to set that up just private message me and we can get you on the schedule.

Here to help,
Coach Chris

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”