Support from Family

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
hopefull418

Support from Family

Post by hopefull418 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:46 am

Has anyone here had any issues with Family supporting them with anxious coditions. Sometimes I feel like I am not getting better because my husband thinks that anxiety and panc attacks are made up in your head. He says you make it up yourself and there fore you can control it too. I dont know how to convey to him that he is hurting me whn he says things like this.. when I ask him to take me somewhere (since i cant drive) he will just say take yourself, you can do it. I know this condition is something i truly control but I feeel like i would get better faster with better support, has anyone overcame this with their family?

Iwillbebetter

Re: Support from Family

Post by Iwillbebetter » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:39 pm

Hopefull, support from your family especially spouse is very important. I to struggle sometimes with my boyfriend, but I've gotten better at someone speaking up. I know it can be hard, but maybe try sitting with him and letting him know where you are coming from. Let him know you are working to better yourself, but it takes time. You realize that it is under your control, but you have to first learn how to control it.

As I have a lot of issue with that type of thing talking to people/expressing myself, you could also if you haven't, have him listen to the CD that is for your family/spouse. Maybe that will give him more insight as to where your are coming from?

I also try when I feel I am having those struggles to also remember that, until you have "been there" you don't really know. And it's VERY hard I think for people that have not "been there" to relate or understand. So I try to instead of wanting him to understand, I decide to understand that he just doesn't understand.... (sometimes easier than others...)

Or maybe try saying, I know you don't understand, I know you feel I should be able to do these things, but unfortunatly at this time I can not. I just need right now for you to just accept that even if you don't understand just accept that and support me in it.
Just some thoughts I don't know if any will help you :)
"Only rainbows after rain, the sun will always come again, and it's a cirlce, circling around again it comes around again...."

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”