Anxiety about being alone

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
Precious1

Anxiety about being alone

Post by Precious1 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:59 pm

I hope someone can relate to what I am going through at this present moment. I have very bad anxiety/panic attacks when being alone by myself and driving alone. I have had anxiety for almost 2 years now and this was never the case up until a few moths ago. I loved driving alone it was calming and relaxing. I also liked to be home alone and relax. I had a really bad sinus infection and was prescribed oral sinus steroids to help. After almost finishing the 10 day pack one day I came home from work in the morning still feeling horrible I also took 2 benedryls. I tried to fall asleep however I woke up feeling very akward I felt as if my body was so amped up yet I was so tired at the same time. I could hear my heart beating out of my ears. I know realize it was the meds however I had the worst panic attack ever because of this feeling the meds were giving me. I had to call the ambulance. I literally thought I was dying my blood pressure was 160/120 my heart rate was 170 it scared me to death. Ever since then I have this horrible fear of being alone simply because I am terrified to have another panic attack like this. I am afraid no one will be around to help especially while driving. I keep telling myself this can not happen like that time because it was the meds however the fear is still there. I do better staying home alone however not complety comfortable. The driving is my big issue if my mom (my safe person) is in the car I do just fine no problems. If I am alone I can not go long distances I start to have panic attacks. Does anyone have any advice to help me get through this? I know the only way you can conquer your fear is by facing it. I have started to drive around my neighborhood alone which I am somewhat comfortable with now. However, when I leave my neighborhood the panic starts. I need help since I start my new job in two weeks and I have to drive about 20 miles :?

perspectivegirl

Re: Anxiety about being alone

Post by perspectivegirl » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:03 pm

It sounds like you're already headed in the right direction! You know what the problem is and you're trying to address it in small steps, which is awesome!
You just have to remember that it wasn't being alone and it wasn't driving that made you have the panic attack - it was the meds and how you were feelings about them. You were alone at the time, but that doesn't mean that every time you're alone those feelings will come back. You said driving even made you feel relaxed, and you can feel that way again. You can be your own safe person when you accept how you're feeling and reassure yourself that you're just fine. :D

PhyllisNeri

Post by PhyllisNeri » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:42 pm

I too had to just drive around the neighborhood for a few tries. Driving is hard for me too. I feel like I am going to get to where I am going and not be able to get back. I know the driving "deal" probably better than everyone. Whats worse is that I moved to a new area of the country and I dont know where I am going. I cant find my GPS, which was worthless to me because It was broken when I tried to use it!!! Then it started raining so hard I needed to pull over to the side of the road and everyone was passing me. I was on the way to the Dr. I was alone. Now I dont want to drive alone anymore. I try to go out a little every day now just to the corner store, just to get out of the house because the isolation will kill me. I just need to keep on "keepin on". Nobody is going to help me. Not my mom. I havent made any friends yet, the people are different here. Everyone has kids (I dont) and they are all encompassed around thier kids. I was thinking of volunteering at the school just to see people. I wish the best of luck to all of us unlucky scared drivers.....Also my worst panic is when I just wake up in the morning. Its that I come out of sleep and and then shift to automatic ZOOM. thats the time that is when I try to drive to the store or get a cup of coffee or tea about a mile away, There are too many highways here to conquer....I think I have has some PTSD experiences also. I am living in TX and one morning I woke up and the was (I swear) 100000000 ants on the inside of the window. I was on the phone with a therapist who scolded me. I have since got a new therapist sometimes driving around it doesnt feel as bad as just getting into the car. If you go out to drive, and I urge u to, if you dont feel well turn around and go home and praise yourself for at least trying and know you will get another chance and the next time will be better. But please dont stop trying. Do it a little at least once every other day, even if you dont have anywhere to go except to get a coffe or ice cream. When I got suicidal one day I got on line to Suicide dot com and it helped me to live. I read it (although still in a panic) until I found one thing.....go out and get ice cream and eat the whole thing and dont feel guilty. I did exactly that and felf beter, especially since I have an eating disorder. If I had to choose between guilt and dying again, I will take the guilT!!!!! best wishes for a quick recovery.... Phyllis

playingwithchaos

Post by playingwithchaos » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:08 pm

i tend to have anxiety when im alone , but it doesnt really become a problem until i lay down at night..then it seems to kick in , during the day its mostly very mild to where i know its there but its hiding in the back ground but not that bothersome.
i quit taking my meds a few months ago , i belive they was driving me more crazy...so far so good..
but i find that if i sit down and pull out my colored pens and a color book it goes away after a few...

www.playingwithchaos.com

PhyllisNeri

Post by PhyllisNeri » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:39 pm

I use my colored pencils and coloring book once in a while, I leave it on the coffee table and grab it as a distraction. Recently, I started drawing again. I am drawing my feelings. I used to fantisize about showing my art and having a show. I hope someday that will be a reality. That would be my dream come true. Maybe writing this down will make it so. Happy Thanksgiving every one! Phyllis

Berta Guerra

Post by Berta Guerra » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:52 pm

I have tried listening to a tape to interrupt OCD patterns and it really helped me. I'm sure you will be able to listen to it while you are driving and daily. I will attempt to look for it at home and I will try to respond to you ASAP. I think I think it is called dealing with OCD. It's short and sweet. You will also be able to listen to it at work when needed.

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”