Can't do anything :(

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
rrocco92

Can't do anything :(

Post by rrocco92 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:35 pm

I have recently started the program and currently on session 2. I am 18 years old and my anxiety started about 4 months ago out of no-where. My panic attacks were the worse in the beginning but when I went to my psyciatrist she explained that I had anxiety and was having panic attacks. (which made me feel better)

I have about 5 panic attacks a day, but I don't even go anywhere. For the past 4 months the only time I left my apartment was to go to the doctor (which even that is a hassel) I look at a car and start having a panic attack. When I try to ride in a car it starts with extreme nausea then I get really hot and it goes from there. I can't hold a conversation with someone without feeling like I'm going to pass out and then have a panic attack. I feel like anxiety has taken over my life, if it wasn't for my fiance I don't know what I would do. I'm so scared of having panic attacks I even transfered my college classes to online classes. Basically if im not in my "safe place" (my apartment) or talking to my "safe person" (my fiance) I have a panic attack I can't do anything anymore. I think since my body is so use to being home everything else kinda turned into a phobia.

I really hope this program works, I feel like it is my only hope. :( I'm glad they have this discussion board so I don't feel so alone. Any help on how to cope with my anxiety or words on encouragement would be gratefully appreciated!!

ms2ndchance

Re: Can't do anything :(

Post by ms2ndchance » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:42 pm

Hello rrocco. You are not alone. I have been suffering with anxiety and panic attacks for about 12 years now. I have a question for you. Have you ever been in a car accident or know someone who has? I asked this because your fear of cars. I am also scared to travel and sometimes even go short distance without having a panic attack. My therapist told me that my fear of being in a car came from when I was little I was on a bus accident. So that is why I asked. I was getting to the point where I was afraid to leave the house but I told myself that I will not let this disorder take over any more of my life. Do not become a victim of this. You are stronger than this and you can beat it. Start by doing little things that you are scared of doing like taking a short walk from your apartment. The more you do this the more comfortable you will become with leaving the house. I hope this helps some. If you need to talk more just send me a private message.

tawascove

Post by tawascove » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:22 pm

I think we all just need support ppl in our lives to make this dreadful and yet happy return to normalcy as easy as it possibly can be. Thanks all.

rrocco92

Post by rrocco92 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:47 pm

Ms2ndchance, sorry it is taking me so long to respond. Actually yes, in 2007 one of my best friends was in a bad car accident, he shouldnt of died but because of the nurses at the hospital (forgot to change his bladder bag) he did die. Now I'm afraid of someone hitting the car I'm riding in. I just found out I was pregnant so now im pushing myself even more to try and overcome this. When I went to my OBGYN it was so difficult to talk to her I got so overwelmed, starting dripping with sweat, got dizzy..well you know the drill. lol. I need to start from the bottom and work my way up...it just seems so hard not being able to do the things that I use to think were so simple. Thanks for everything! If you don't mind me asking..how far are you on the program or have you finished it?

screlp

Post by screlp » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:07 pm

Just know there a bunch of people here going through the same thing, and we are here for you. Concentrate on session 3 getting rid of negative thoughts. I know its not easy, but for me was the most important one so far. Try not to live in the past or future, "I know, easier said than done". Try to fill yourself with positive thoughts, "if you go out nothing bad is going to happen, it's just another ordinary day". Stick with the program, it has worked great for me so far.
My name is Tommy, Have positive thoughts about youself, and know you have friends here you've never even met. :D

steffaniiee

Post by steffaniiee » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:32 pm

I understand 100 % how you feel. i have no advice for you since im in the same boat, just know that your not alone. your honestly not the only one. im 19 and i have had this for about 7 years, but it doesent matter how long you have it, its still just as bad. i hope this program helps you heal completly.

Chuck Striler

Post by Chuck Striler » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:45 pm

Hey rrocco92, here's the thing. Panic attacks are completely harmless. It's just adrenaline gone wild. I know, I used to have them ALL the time and was terrified!! Then I realized that the waves of adrenaline were just that, waves! Instead of fighting the wave I just let it "wash over me" and come. The more attacks I got the better I did. Adrenaline CAN NOT hurt you and is nothing to fear. Just a chemical release. The next time you have your attack just think about the waves, they'll get smaller and smaller until the water is calm again. Don't be afraid.

On another note, I've gone from terrified and basically house bound, to complete freedom with the program, and lots of practice and inner reflection. You can do it, you all can. Stick with it.

Chuck

Rsmry

Post by Rsmry » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:32 am

Thank you Chuck Striler! I need to hear that. I realize this post is kinda old, but its where I'm at. I dont like the fear I hate it. I just wanta be able to do things I want to do.

bakerwoman25

Post by bakerwoman25 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:39 pm

I just read your post and wanted to let you know you are not alone. I just started this program about a week ago.
My issues are much the same as yours. It is very scary and depressing at the same time. I do know that if you don't force yourself to get out, the problem will swallow you up. So be strong and work hard at the program. That is what I am going to do. Hang in there!

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”