Constant Anxiety/Jitters

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
LMH2011

Constant Anxiety/Jitters

Post by LMH2011 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:56 pm

Hi Everyone! I posted this under the session that I am currently on (session 3), but I haven't gotten any responses, so I am hoping that somebody here will be able to help me because I am really stuck.

I am constantly feeling this low level of anxiety - kind of like I could go into a panic attack at any second, but it just sits there like that all day long. One of the hardest things for me is to stop worrying - I am so afraid that all of this stress from worrying is going to cause me to have a heart attack!! I had an doctor at the hospital tell me that if I don't get my problem under control, I WILL have a heart attack (I was diagnosed with anxiety after a bunch of tests and one abnormal EKG that showed a lack of oxygen to the heart, but one of the darn leads wasn't hooked up right - 10 other EKG's came back normal and a cardiologist one year earlier said I was super healthy. So I should be comfortable with my heart, but I'm not)!! That doesn't help me and I carry that with me every day. So I worry that worrying is going to kill me!!! My biggest fear is having heart disease/heart attack/heart problems because let's face it, if you're heart isn't working, you won't be alive!!! It's all centered around the heart and I can't stop thinking about it - every little ache, pain and wooziness/spaciness *must* be a heart problem! Heaven forbid that I get nauseous because that *must* be related to the heart too! That's what causes me to have that constant state of anxiousness. Does anybody experience the same thing? When I have a good day, I have a good day without this anxiousness, but most of the time it's constant. Any tips on how to conquer this fear and stop worrying about it? I think if I could do that, the constant anxious feeling would go away. I'm trying really hard with the positive self talk, but it's not easy! I don't know what to tell myself and how to convince myself that I don't have a heart problem! I can say/think the positive thoughts, but I'm not believing them all because of my terrible past experience at the hospital and what that doctor said. Please help me! I'm only 32 years old....I want my life back!!

THH

Re: Constant Anxiety/Jitters

Post by THH » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:28 pm

Hello LMH2011!
I understand the low level of anxiety, I too at times get that. I also have health anxiety. So I can worry and what if with the best of everyone!
You are at the right place when you bought the program. I have gone through it several times now, and feel better more days than not. It is a life long commitment to invest in yourself and it takes time to retrain your thinking. We all do well and then so to speak have "set backs". You will learn each of the sessions that will help you with change your perspective. In one of the tapes it talks about obsessing, and that is what we do when we magnify our health fears and dwell on them. Worry and what ifing keeps us in the low anxiety zone, and stressing about it just leads to panic. I have learned to recognize that I am doing this by either writing down my thoughts, my inner self talk. Like Ken on one of the tapes says getting in between those thoughts breaks the cycle. I tried saying thoughts only thoughts. Try some thought replacement as well. Be grateful and focus on some things you are lucky to have. If I have trouble like in the beginning, I gave thanks to God for little things. Now I can make a big long list! Use your carry cards I did and still do when I have something bothering me.
It will get better, keep trying to do the program, the guide book, post your thoughts and what you need help with. So many people are here to help! You are not alone!!!
Also I might add we learn in the program what is really bothering you, and secondary gains. Positive self talk is very hard. I never realized how much negative self talk I really did. It is very eye opening. Maybe try something like I am healthy, you have gone to the doctor and have had your heart checked out. It is anxiety and you know what that is. We do nothing, recognize it is anxiety and go on with your day. It is hard, but you can do it!!! How bad do you want it? Good luck to you, take your life back!

Chuck Striler

Re: Constant Anxiety/Jitters

Post by Chuck Striler » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:06 pm

LMH2011,
I'm sitting on my couch chuckling to myself because that was me when I was 32! I'm 48 now and still haven't died! Hahaha

What I did when I felt that way was I got angry!! No offense, but I got angry at myself for being paranoid. LOL
What the hell was wrong with me? I loved being active but was afraid to do stuff.

Your anxious feelings are genuine but unhealthy. Don't scare yourself out of living. Push yourself a little and prove to yourself that you're healthy and fine. Get a little winded, let your heart beat a little. You'll be fine.

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”