"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
tatancbu

Post by tatancbu » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:18 am

Hi everyone. I have received my the program packet today and will start with my first session CD. I know I suffer from stress and anxiety bad enough that I do not have the desire to socialize or get out of the house other than go to work. My feelings of anxiety started a year ago when I felt my pulse was racing and couldn't catch my breath for no apparent reason.I felt there was something wrong with me physically. I went to my doctor only to find out I was in perfect physical health. I was diagnosed with anxiety and it devastated me. I just got out of a relationship then and discovering that I had anxiety did not make it better.I see a psychologist for therapy but I feel I need all the help I can get.I want to change and get rid of my anxiety because I feel I am a better person than this.
I am looking forward to actively participating in this support group.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:16 am

Welcome! I'm feeling better for the short time that I've been here. It is really helpful to be able to talk to other people that have experienced panic attacks, anxiety and depression.

I have a Psychologist that I'm working with my G.A.D. which he was the one to name it. I had already worked with a different one using Dr David Burns 10 Steps to Self-Esteem. This really helped me and his therapy until some unexpected stress came into my life that caused me to have my first panic attack.

Anyway, my therapy with the first Psychologist went by the wayside when I realized he didn't understand anti-depressants and seemed to always be looking for problems to solve w/my family.

I'm glad to be with my new one that is younger and just has a better way of helping me to understand my anxiety right now.

I also got my CDs from my sister who wasn't using hers because she felt she wasn't "ready". Which is a shame as if she would just listen to them she would feel better. But lucky for me though that I get to use them. Which she wanted so that later when she begins we can help eachother.

karmatism

Post by karmatism » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:20 am

Welcome!

First off I want to tell you that you have no reason to think less of yourself for having this condition (although admittedly I feel the same way). You didn't choose it and until you have the knowledge and tools to deal with it, you can't control it. So applaud yourself for doing something about it. Obviously you are someone who takes the initative because you spoke to a doctor, hired a therapist and ordered the program. You are already taking steps to get better. Now all you have to do is work the program.

Second, I want to share that I learned the hard way that you don't instantly start feeling better so drop that expectation. Also, progress isn't straightforward, it's kind of back and forth and all over the place is what I'm finding out. It's a messy process, but you just have to keep going.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you better as we go through this journey!

weisercowboy

Post by weisercowboy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:49 am

Hi. I'm glad to see that you have taken the time to do what is best for you. I heard a wise person say that we can't help others until things are right with us. I couldn't agree more. I started this journey 10 years ago and I started to feel better but through "Life Happening". I discovered that I did not have control over my anxiety or depression. So here I am starting over again. This is going to be a great adventure. Here's to normality? Forget that! That's boring!

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”