Feel like I am going backwards

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
atomp

Post by atomp » Tue May 11, 2010 1:06 am

Hey! My name is Amber and I have been dealing with anxiety most of my life, the past year my anxiety has went to a new level and was becoming a problem with my life, job, family and boyfriend! So I started on a depression medication and an antianxiety medication. I also started to see a counselor. Honestly I can say the counselor did not help, but did give me one good thing, which was suggested lucinda Panic to Power Book! I started reading it in feb this year and the past few months I have felt great, but was nervous for the book to be over, so when I heard to ad for this program on the radio and called right away! Now that I have started the program, I feel like I am going backwards, I have more anxiety and i feel overwhelmed by the program! I am not quite sure how I am suppose to do things and i want to do them right! I havent taken my anxiety medicine for about 2 months and I feel like I need it no and that scares me! I need help!

SimpleTruths

Post by SimpleTruths » Tue May 11, 2010 11:36 am

atomp,

Hi, It is normal to feel anxious when you start the program as you are facing your fears. I also dealt with that for about the first two weeks. Then things got alot better. Try sticking with the relaxation CD as that will help you and the breathing too. Hang in there as I know you will succeed. There is no perfect way to go through the program - just be yourself and take one day at a time. And don't feel bad if you need a little back up with the meds. No condemnation there. Take care.

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Wed May 12, 2010 10:48 am

Like what SimpleTruth says it is normal to feel like this but keep in mind, feeling that you are going backwards and actually going backwards are 2 diffrent things. I would actually think there would be something wrong if you didn't have more anxiety from doing the program. The knowledge, relaxation cd, writing through thoughts and 6 steps for handling anxiety/panic attacks are the core of the program. The other stuff are just aids and you do not have to do everything in order to recover.

If you need to go back on the anxiety meds for awhile then so be it...would you say its bad for someone who broke their leg to be on crutches?

Mike
Here is the link to the Letting Go thread which is designated for venting
http://forum.stresscenter.com/viewtopic ... 52&t=25087

You can follow me on Twitter, same username or check out my blog

http://ninjafrodo.blogspot.com/

goodwillchic

Post by goodwillchic » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:13 am

Hi Amber,

I agree with SimpleTruths and NinjaFrodo. It is 100% normal to feel more anxious when you start the program. You are getting ready to face your fears and that is anxiety producing. The difference is that with the help of the program, the CDs and exercises you will become equipped to deal with the anxiety. I suggest committing yourself to completing the program. Don't worry if you're 'getting it'...just follow the instructions and complete it. You will see a difference, you will feel a difference. But there will probably be times where you feel you are faking it - that's OK. It takes time to retrain your brain.

Good luck and keep using this forum for support. The people here are amazing!

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”