I just started this program about 3 weeks ago and really don't know what i'm doing???

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
amoe

Post by amoe » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:26 am

I really don't know what I'm doing. So I called the help number on this site. I started right at first by listening to the welcome cd but then I started directly to the session cds and am on cd 3 (although I need to relisten to each one about 50 more times because i do not remember what they were about.) I was told I should have then went to the coaching dvds set of 4 before starting my sessions. So, I am starting the program all over again. This is my last chance at hope for freedom from anxiety, depressions, and anything else that falls under those two. I've got it. And I want rid of it. It is ruining and totally controlling my life. How does this online support website help and where should i start out at first. i want to be able to relate to people who are at the same part of the program as I am so if there are discussions stemming from that particular lesson then I can be right in tune with people in whatever part of the prgram I'm in. Any tips or things to remeber would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:58 am

So far you can go to the postings that are titled the Lesson # of the CDs. There you will find that people have posted about what is discussed on the CD or the workbook.

poetrob

Post by poetrob » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:53 pm

Hey! I don't think you should start over. You
just got ahead of yourself a bit.

Maybe you should take notes about what you
hear. Write things down. It is a good way to
remember things.

Just take things slow and easy. Again, I don't
think you should start over. Keep going and I'm
sure you will do fine.

Best of luck.

tlh1249

Post by tlh1249 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:00 pm

I just recieved my package in the mail and am eager to begin, but I have to hide it from my husband because I am embarrased...I am ALWAYS embarrased. I am only in the 1st few pages of the intro guide and I read a section on relaxation and wanted to stop right there and put this away never to be seen. The thought of trying to just sit and relax stresses me out because there is always so much to be done, but to sit there and have to talk to myself is too much for me. What if someone sees me?! It's not that I think it is a rediculous concept...it only is when I think of myself doing it. I would be mortified to get caught and anyone knowing that I have this would make me look crazy to them...

The worst part is, to re-read what I am typing right now is what is ridiculous. I sound like a fool, but the fear and feelings inside are VERY real.

How does someone get help if they are afraid of talking?

Please...I feel like I have hit a dead end here, I thought I could do this...but honestly, its too hard.

Thank you very much for your time
~tlh1249

poetrob

Post by poetrob » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:27 am

Try to find someone you trust to talk to.
A close friend or family member.

I can relate to being afraid to talk.
Eventually, you will have to talk to
your husband. You may be surprised
how supportive he will be.

Don't worry too much about being
viewed as crazy. It takes courage
to tell people what you are going
through.

Try taking the relaxation session
with you and listen to it elsewhere.
A park or somewhere.

Try to take things one step at a
time. Listen to the tapes/CD's.
It is always hard to try something
different.

Find courage in knowing you are
trying to better yourself.

post in the forums asking questions.
Or, what you are learning. It will
help you feel better about talking.

Again, try to talk to your husband.
He would be sad if he found the
program and realized you were hiding
it. Trust your heart and give your
husband a chance.

DJ2661

Post by DJ2661 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:08 pm

Keep trying the relaxation tape it really helps. Start by just listening as you do other things. I find it hard to sit still and quiet for 15 minutes at times so i just use a headset or pop it into the DVD player and listen as I get ready for work or walk the dog.

Adrien

Post by Adrien » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:01 am

DJ2661 - I do the same thing. I listen to it on my iPod and do so while getting ready for work, sometimes at work and then again lying in bed at night before I fall asleep. I must admit, I sometimes fall asleep before it is over. Once I awoke in the night and realized that it had replayed for 2 hours! hehehehe How great is that! I had been sleeping while my brain was soaking in the content. Love it!
Adrien

tlh1249

Re: I just started this program about 3 weeks ago and really

Post by tlh1249 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:22 am

Thank you for your comments...

I did tell my husband and he i being very supportive, I should've known he would be...

Now Im stuck on the homework. I know that I need to but cannot bring my self to make a doctors appt. This is by far my most extreme high anxiety situation that I have managed to avoid for quite some time. Over 10yrs since I have had a "check-up" type thing or been to a family physician. The only doctor I have been to was the OB when I found out I was pregnant in 08' and that took 2months after I took my home test. I also miscarried this pst August at 20wks and was supposed to go back for a follow-up after the surgery...but never did.

I am terrified and do not know how to take that first step!

Any advice?

miss_cynthia

Post by miss_cynthia » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:34 am

I can relate to being afraid to take the step to see the doctor. (I was afraid too.) I think that the fear stems from the anxiety itself... or the other way around. There is really no way to take this step without facing your fear. I was terrified to go to the doctor... mostly because I was scared to admit publically the way I was feeling. So, I took a trusted friend with me to the appointment, who knew what was going on with me, and it helped to ease my anxiety just a little. That way someone else was able to help describe my symptoms when I wasn't able.

If that seems to stressful for you... do you know someone personally who could refer you to a good doctor? For me, that was a huge comfort knowing that the doctor was personally recommended by someone I know and trust. It's important that you feel comfortable with the doctor you share your story with. The first step is getting there... so if you need to take your husband with you, or a friend that knows about your fears, do that. If that doesn't help, try going to a recommended doctor, which may help ease yor anxiety enough to make the trip. I wish you the best! Keep me posted on how you're doing.

I too just started the program, and am really having a hard time changing my way of thinking. I have to hope that this will get easier along the way. This is last hope at this point... I've tried meds, therapy, other self-help methods, you name it... I have to believe this will work. And I think that if I can convince myself of this, it will work.

Hope things are getting better for you... I wish you happy 'anxiety' free days!

Cynthia

DJ2661

Post by DJ2661 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:12 pm

tlh1249. Sorry about your loss, that has got to be very stressful. The one important thing you need to do is take care of yourself. You are your number one priority. It is stressful going to Dr's for alot of people but getting back the results of your routine tests and knowing you are healthy is a great reward. Make that appointment and take you husband or good friend with you for support. You will be glad you did. Good Luck

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”