Is it normal to feel anxious about overcoming anxiety

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
poetrob

Post by poetrob » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:00 am

I am noticing that I am feeling anxious about
overcoming anxiety. I am only two weeks into
the program. I am finding that I'm not sure
about my ability to overcome anxiety.
Maybe I won't or something like that.
Or, I've lost the battle.

Is it normal to feel like this?

Nanner823

Re: Is it normal to feel anxious about overcoming anxiety

Post by Nanner823 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:47 am

No one responded to this?

Oddly I have been thinking the same thing.

I kinda don't want people to expect things of me. Sort of like I will no longer have a "reason" to NOT do things I don't want to. Before the anxiety I was constantly guilt-ed into rides to stores for people, running errands for others, or going places or doing things I just didn't want to! What happens when I feel better and people want all that stuff again?

THH

Re: Is it normal to feel anxious about overcoming anxiety

Post by THH » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:51 pm

poetrob,
Yes, for me I felt like you. I have gone through the program 2 times, and I am changed forever. I still have anxiety at times as I am a anxious person. But I have learned many ways to deal with it and change my perspective. You will too as you continue though the program.
I would get anxiety with each new lesson I started. I wondered so many things!!! You are still at the recognize stage, remember the baby steps as well. We don't get like this over night and we can't change it over night either. Do your work book, I think that really helped me. Also posting here and reading so many other peoples post.
Good luck to you! ;)

Nanner8223,
Sorry no one has posted. I come on from time to time and read some of the post and reply to some as well.
I think there comes a point in the program that addresses this issue. Expectations. It may be a little early for you to get into it at lesson 2 but its coming up soon. Do people expect you to do things for them or do we expect ourselves to be everything to everyone? By learning about your self this program will help you untangle all these things so you can know your self and what you want to do. I know being assertive comes along as well. So to answer your question " What happens when I feel better and people want all that stuff again" This is what you will learn as you continue through the program. It is very individual, for me, I now know when I have time to help and who needs help and I usually don't let guilt drive me to do things I don't want to do. It is a very big relief and surprising how easy it can be. I also in turn feel more peaceful about just saying " no" with out a lengthy excuse session! LOL...
Keep at it, it gets better! :D
P.S. You may want to write down your reply and keep it handy as it maybe be your secondary gain! By having anxiety for a excuse??? Just a thought? ( that too is in future sessions, I don't want to confuse you.)

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”