Impossible situations

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
Wonderfulight

Post by Wonderfulight » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:55 am

OHHH. How do you handle things like this without going nutty?

I took my little dog to get his teeth cleaned to a groomer which was only going to be $45...a vet is $400+! I was excited that finally I could get them done. When I got there, they said his teeth were too bad for them to do it. I was very disappointed. Then I came out to leave and my car wouldn't start...no matter what, jumped with cables...nothing. I had to get a tow (more money) which towed me to an expensive garage. This is an '86 Chevette..simple car? The estimate was $312.00. Far from having that money (I am on fixed income) I decided to order the part myself, which saved $30, then towed to another garage, an older man who works on old cars, he said $150 for labor. So I went to "Allied Cash" and borrowed the money. Thought I was all set until mechanic said I needed a new battery, so I bought that and took it to him right away so he could continue working on it...that made him mad because I showed up so fast with the battery??...got angry at me because he had other cars ahead of me, but he didn't and had a fit at me, then I had to cry I was so frustrated, and asked him why he was angry...he then told me his life story, LOL, and said I could take the car out of there, that he wouldn't work on it!! Then I called another garage and they were even more expensive, so the car sits, I've spent half the $150 on the battery, $88 on the starter part, and blaaaa...have gotten nowhere. The car is very important because I live 8 miles from any town. I have been driving my '79 Econoline van eight round trips (which eats gas...that's cost $30 in the last three days).

So now it sits in town, nothing is being done, and I have spent most of the money! My nephew (who is a church outreach worker) is trying "People Who Care" to see if anyone can fix it cheaper.

When you don't have money and something goes wrong, it is so scary and frustrating. It makes me feel very stupid and helpless.

Any suggestions for a better attitude or what??

Marilyn
"WORRY: Imagination in the wrong direction."

Mystikal1231

Post by Mystikal1231 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:29 am

Wonderfulight - Yes that is a tough situation to be in. Very anxiety producing for sure!! Unfortunately these are those things we have no control over. But there is always a solution. sounds like maybe your nephew can find the help you need. If not I would say maybe there is a mechanic school near that could work on if for cheap? or a mechanic on craigslist I know a few people whom have done that.

Good luck to you. I will keep you & your situation in my thoughts/prayers!!
** How can you give love to others, or recieve love of others - if you can not 1st love yourself? **

Wonderfulight

Post by Wonderfulight » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:37 pm

Mystikal1231...Thanks for the supportive reply. Haven't found a mechanic yet, and my nephew tried to help out making phone calls...no luck yet. He did call a college here, but they said they didn't work on people's cars, it wasn't legal?? Who cares if it's legal? When I go to church this Sunday, a friend is going to introduce me to a mechanic she knows at church. Hope, hope, hope. Meanwhile, to get "unobsessed and unstressed" I took a good ride on my horse today, exercise!! So I don't feel so crazy anymore. Your suggestion of Craig's list is a good idea...I never thought of that. Thanks for your support, onward...I pray too, I gave it to Jesus! I feel a solution coming! Yeah.

Mystikal1231

Post by Mystikal1231 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:40 am

wonderfulight - sorry nothing had come threw yet, but yes if you gave it to jesus it will be there soon!! :) That was a great idea to ride the horse!! I'm sure the fresh air was nice also!! I just love being outside, that alone sometimes can "sooth" me :)
** How can you give love to others, or recieve love of others - if you can not 1st love yourself? **

Wonderfulight

Post by Wonderfulight » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:05 pm

Mystikal...WOW. Looked on Craig's list and found a local "mobile mechanic". I towed my car home with my van (for free), called "Mike, the Mobile Mechanic) who came the next day and installed the starter for $35 an hour!!! He was great, it was not an easy fix, had to take the steering column out just to get the starter out. He was definitely a present from above! So it's all fixed and paid for...HALLELUJAH, PRAISE THE LORD. Thanks for being the link...giving me that idea of Craig's list.

Wonderfulight

Post by Wonderfulight » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:47 pm

Just trying my updated profile!

How do I get that "Worry" thing on the bottom of my posts?? Instead of above the picture?
Another "impossible situation"...I'm going to bed now!
Thanks for "how to" help?

Mystikal1231

Post by Mystikal1231 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:01 am

that is GREAT wonderfulight!! I'm SOOOO happy to hear!!! I'm glad I was able to help in giving you the idea! :)
congratulations!! :)

* I'm not sure about getting the wording below the pictures... I'm not sure if you can, maybe if you post in the "technical" area of the community forum or whatever maybe someone can help there... :)

Wonderfulight

Post by Wonderfulight » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:45 pm

Mystikal...my Chevette is running better than ever! Hot little car. I'm happy, happy, happy!

My question, like on the bottom of your posts, "**How can you give love to others...

How do you get that down there on all your posts? What is it called in the Profile?

Thanks if you can help.

Mystikal1231

Post by Mystikal1231 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:58 pm

I could only imagine how happy you are. I would have a lot of trouble dealing if my van was not working!!

at the bottom of the posts - that is the "signature" I think you can add that from the profile page. :)

Wonderfulight

Post by Wonderfulight » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:52 pm

Mystikal, I got it where I wanted it, the "worry " thing. Thanks for all your support re the car. You really helped me get through it. Seems now that I overreacted, I must learn to trust in Jesus sooner! LOL

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”