hard to believe physical symtoms are from axiety

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
JDar11

Post by JDar11 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:05 pm

Hi,

I am new to the program. It was just delivered to my house but I am traveling for the Holidays so I have not started it yet. Over the past month I have had a slew of physical symptoms including, intense head pressure, chest pressure, nausea, dizziness, loss of appetite, fatigue. Its SO hard for me to believe that all these symptoms are caused by anxiety. Especially since they are not in the form of a panic attach where they come and pass. It is just constant, all the time, even when I am in situations that cause me no anxiety. It makes me think there is something physically wrong with me that the doctors are just dismissing. Did anyone else out there experience this? Thanks :)

Nugget28

Post by Nugget28 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:43 am

You don't have to worry. Your symptoms sound very familiar. It is all part of anxiety.
In the workbook there is a symptomslist. As you will go through the programm you will see that those body symptomes are created by anxiety and the way we think.

JDar11

Post by JDar11 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:12 pm

thanks for the reply. its nice to hear from someone who understands

drivingbananas

Post by drivingbananas » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:56 pm

I completely understand what you are saying. I went through blood tests, an ekg and chest x-ray. Nothing truely abnormal. Reading the book, listening to the cds and keeping a journal with help. Atleast it is starting to help for me. Good luck with the journey!

deany

Post by deany » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:13 pm

I also have physical symtoms and in fact right now I am not experiencing any real anxiety but the physical symtoms are still there and I have had so many tests in the past few months so I have to beleive it is anxiety and it is horrible. I do understand and I am hoping as I get further into the program that they will subside.

manuela

Post by manuela » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:29 pm

Yes, we are all on the ssame boat. I am now experiencing heart palpitations that totally freak me out. And a couple of months ago went thru stress test and a heart monitor for 14 days to find nothing! And during those 14 days I experienced those palpitations and in the monitor nothing abnormal was recorded! But here I am today still experiencing the same symptoms and it still doesn't register that it is only anxiety. I have been told by several doctors that I am extremely sensitive and by my therapist that I have a very strong mind/body connection. The way I see it is, we have to look at the bright side, we keep the doctors and insurances occupied! In moments like this I wish I had more faith! I think it must help a lot.

JDar11

Post by JDar11 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:54 am

I feel for all of you. It sucks to still have physical symptoms when you are not experiencing any real anxiety at the moment because then it is harder to blame (and believe) anxiety as the cause of the symptoms! But thinking negatively is only going to make things worse (and it is what got us here in the first place!), so positive thoughts everyone!

"Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy."

Cynthia Sue

Post by Cynthia Sue » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:28 pm

I too have these symptoms. I went thru the program about 3 years ago and did very well but my life has changed alot. After struggling w/miscarriages for years, i fnally have my little boy- 2 years old now and I am working fulltime. I started getting real dizzy and unbalanced feeling ever since I went back to work after having my son. I feel chest pressure (stress) and cannot even walk around my work and now even home ( when I am relaxed) without feeling dizzy. I have been to the doctor and cannot come up with any reason. It is taking over my life and I am wondering if it is my anxiety back again. I need to go back and start the program again and see if that helps.I wish yo the best as well.

manuela

Post by manuela » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:02 pm

Hi, Cynthia,
I know how you feel, I was home with my child for 6 years and last year went back to work and I still feel overwhelmed at times.
I t takes time to find that balance back. That is allways the answer for everything that has to do with any type of change in our lives. It takes time. And for us anxious people, that's hard to accept.
But from past experiences I know, even being very hard to wait, it is important to allow ourselves time to adjust to new situations. When I gave birth to my son he was born with a problem that required surgeries. And the woman that was in the other bed kept hearing me weep and allways said to me " remember, this too shall pass". And now 6 years later and 4 surgeries later, I still think of her and remind myself, "this too shall pass". So you remember that too! All the best. ;)

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:04 pm

Welcome back, Cynthia! :) Thanks for your great story about your roommate while you were worried about your son, Manuela! :)

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”