realized some resistances

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
missobsessive

Post by missobsessive » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:19 am

Hi

I've realized some of my resistances to practicing the skills and doing what I need to do to get out of this condition completely..

I procrastinate and resist writing in my journal.

I've noticed that I'm constantly thinking of other things I need to do, or I'm too tired to write in my journal (I like to write in it at night).

I've realized that with the whole journal thing, I have in the back of my mind the thought..what would someone think if they read this? I can't write that..I shouldn't write that..What if someone read it, what would they think?

It's like I have this inner editor on all the time, and I struggle to turn it off. No one around me would ever read my journal, but I don't know..I just have this in the back of my mind. The people I write about and what I say (not that it's even bad things) but just my thoughts about them..My mind says "geeze if they knew I was writing this right now, they would think I was so weird.

But I know I have to write in it because through applying the skills in the program, I keep having "aha moments" and new realizations all the time, and I know I need to write them down. I feel like I have a lot in my mind that needs out, but I still struggle with the "inner editor."

Has anyone else had this struggle?

Thanks for reading :p

Learning to move forward

Post by Learning to move forward » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:50 am

Hello, sometimes I have a hard time writing in my journal. I've kept a journal for about 2 years now even before I started this program. Heck I didn't know I was suffering from anxiety I just thought I was depressed all the time from the nonsense that was always happening in my life. But, I found that if I write things down it leaves me. In other words I feel better. Nothing actually changes but its not circling my head anymore. Perhaps you need to put your journal somewhere where you know no one will read it. You should somehow feel secure that your innermost thoughts are just that and noone has the right to judge what you're feeling or what you are going through.

Shamrock96

Post by Shamrock96 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:15 pm

I can totally relate misobsessive. I literally just got the program in the mail today 1/7/2011 and just finished Session 1. I thumbed through the workbook and it seems to make sense but then I heard about the "keeping a journal" part in first CD. I am definitely hesistant as well. I know I have to get over it, but my first thought is that if I put something down on paper, it almost makes it "real", like now its not just a passing (potentially crazy) thought. That I took time to write it down means there i something more to it. But LEANING might have a good point. Maybe getting it down on paper actually releases it. I guess there is only one way to find out. We will see I guess.

Well I'm brand new and this is my first post so best of luck to both of you.

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”