Breathing Obsession

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
Brooke Darcy

Post by Brooke Darcy » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:17 pm

So, I have gotten my anxiety under control for the most part. However, I seem to have developed a tick or nervous reaction/obsession with my breathing. I have to take super deep breaths for long periods of time, if I'm not totally distracted. Sometimes I swear I can feel the bones and muscles in my throat getting in the way of my breathing. What can I do to get rid of this new "nervous tick"?
In Jesus, all things are possible.

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:47 am

hi, my name is Joey, I'm just starting this program now. I may not have the best answer for you, but one thing I can tell you is that you don't NEED to breathe that way. You're NOT goign to die, There will be No rational consequences if you stop. I know that obsessions and compulsions are horrible and it's easier said than done, but try to be rational. You don't need to do that to yourself. Examine what makes you feel like you have to do that; that is the distortion. Distortions are what make us do these irrational things. distortions are the underlying irrational reasons that make us feel like we have to perform these compulsions. Ask yourself what you think will happen if you stop this compulsion, it's probably something irrational. Rip the weed out by the root. Don't get tricked by a thought. Good Luck to you

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:29 am

Hello, this is my first writing. I know exactly how you are feeling!!!! I have the same obsession. I yawn all day long and take deep breaths all day, not because I'm tired, but my breathing obsession. I always feel like I do not get enough oxygen and that I will stop breathing...anyone have any suggestions? I will pray for all of us!!!

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”