When is one considered "recovered"?

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
Mikki1968

Post by Mikki1968 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:59 am

I finished the program over a year ago and stopped taking Xanax then too. I'm doing ok. I still get episodes. They consist of anxious feelings and thoughts. I then become obsessed with these feelings or thoughts. Knock on wood no panic attacks. How long does it take a person to be recovered from this condition?

Mystikal1231

Post by Mystikal1231 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:45 am

I think being recovered is not so much never having the syptoms, I beleive they will lessen in time, but I think it's more about coping with them. being "recovered" I beleive is being able to be aware of the anxiety, being able to tell yourself it's ok and moving threw it. :)
Instead of becoming "obsessed" with it you need to tell yourself it's ok, it's just anxiety it will pass. and maybe look into what is causing it and work on that to help that to not cause it again?
I don't know just thoughts. I'm only on session 7, so I don't really know for sure, but that's my take on it.
** How can you give love to others, or recieve love of others - if you can not 1st love yourself? **

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:17 am

Recovery doesn't really exist. You can't get back everything you had before you had the condition, its just not possible. Recovery is like perfection its just this idea of a fixed level in which you work towards but can never achieve.

Instead of focusing on recovery why not focus on improving the positive traits and skills already within yourself because you will always have anxiety and you will always have the potential for obsessive thinking. The more positive you try to feel, the more positive you do feel and the less you will need the anxiety, and the obsessive thoughts because when it all comes down to it, the negative feelings are just messages that something is wrong and needs to change.

Mike
Here is the link to the Letting Go thread which is designated for venting
http://forum.stresscenter.com/viewtopic ... 52&t=25087

You can follow me on Twitter, same username or check out my blog

http://ninjafrodo.blogspot.com/

Liz*

Post by Liz* » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:07 pm

You don't really recover and you certainly don't want to rehabilitate, that's for knees and such when you get them back to where they were before an injury.

What you want to do is regenerate yourself and become a new person, removing the old character defects that held you back. 2 Corinthians 5:17 says Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

I look at this program to assist me in becoming that new creation in Christ. Best wishes
Last edited by Liz* on Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mystikal1231

Post by Mystikal1231 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:19 am

Mike - I love your wording... That is very helpful, after seeing that question, I've been asking myself the same thing. I kind of said the same thing, but I just love your wording!!!
** How can you give love to others, or recieve love of others - if you can not 1st love yourself? **

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:28 pm

Mike:

You should write a book.
When you do, I will read it !

Lynda

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”