PLEASE HELP! Specific Phobia - Fear of Vomiting (and being near vomit)

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
justjen2

Post by justjen2 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:14 pm

Jennsufferer - maybe it's the name, I don't know, but I know exactly how you feel.

Since childhood, I've been extremely fearful of vomit, and I truly thought I was the only one in the world with the fear. I'm on Session Four of the program and really feel like I have some constructive tools to deal with my fears. As others have mentioned, self talk is something I'm trying. I just keep telling myself "no big deal, it's just the body ridding itself of something unwanted." It really helps
me to know that others shared my fears.

It so happens that I'm dealing with my second bout of a stomach virus in our house. My son had it last weekend, and my daughter has it right now. I'm seeking comfort and support in my tapes and in the knowledge I've gained thus far. Believe it or not, I'm doing pretty well. Months ago, I would have completely shut down and gotten "sick" myself. Tonight and last weekend, I have been attentive, caring and nurturing to my kids. I know I will get through it. Not without some negative thoughts and anxiety, but I will get through it :)

I truly hope you can begin the healing process too. I'll be praying for you.

Skipperdoodle

Post by Skipperdoodle » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:08 am

Hi, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this fear. Mine started as a kid. It has gotten so bad that it has affected my digestion to the point that I feel nauseous everyday. I to fear going to public places because I think I will get sick. I probably go through three times a week where I feel really really sick which happens mostly at night, and I will pace the house willing myself not to vomit and more or less have a panic attack over it. I just started the program as well and am excited by the idea that I can overcome this phobia and hopefully get my digestive troubles under control.

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:57 pm

It sounds like people are finding it very helpful to hear that other people are having this issue and thats great and all but is this helping you get over the issue?

What the program suggests is you take that obsessive thought and you make it into something humorous.

Instead of seeing yourself vomit (or someone else vomit), stomach acid why not picture vomitting out scooby-doo or maybe the vomit starts to talk to you or you vomit during halloween and then it has a mind of it's own and goes around scaring little children...write something down that is going to make you laugh and read that at least 3X a day for 2 weeks. In lucinda's book from panic to power she recommends 10X a day but i have a hard time reading my thoughts 10X a day.

It won't solve the problem completely to just read them once...it'll get easier and easier to do. You might even start laughing when you see someone vomit :P

Mike
Here is the link to the Letting Go thread which is designated for venting
http://forum.stresscenter.com/viewtopic ... 52&t=25087

You can follow me on Twitter, same username or check out my blog

http://ninjafrodo.blogspot.com/

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”