PLEASE HELP! Specific Phobia - Fear of Vomiting (and being near vomit)

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
City Girl

Post by City Girl » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:27 pm

When I googled this fear, Emetophobia came up and I was sort of relieved to see that their is an actual term associated with this irrational fear. This fear is actually the cause of most of my anxiety and panic and I feel that this is such a hard fear to face. I want to start researching this more, but I was wondering if anyone else has this fear. I fear vomiting and being around people that vomit. Being able to see it on TV is actually a huge accomplishment for me. It's not that I think I will die if I vomit, but it scares me soooo much it's hard to explain.

dj63

Post by dj63 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:18 pm

hello city girl, i don't have it, but it is a very common phobia. i'm sure you will find many on here that have it. dana

Richard6987

Post by Richard6987 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:00 am

City Girl, I used to have it but slowly over came the fear with positive self talk, I know the thoughts suck. but believe it or not your not really going to throw up.And that it a very very common fear

City Girl

Post by City Girl » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:48 am

How did the positive self talk help you overcome the fear? Was there anything specific you told yourself? How long did you have the fear?
Originally posted by Richard6987:
City Girl, I used to have it but slowly over came the fear with positive self talk, I know the thoughts suck. but believe it or not your not really going to throw up.And that it a very very common fear

Richard6987

Post by Richard6987 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:10 am

At first when i had to go to meetings or be in a room,I would just be stiff as a board with fear, i was lucky i had a friend tell me he could notice how tense i was and he said that he used to be the same way and that thought reassured me and i just keep telling myself to only think of that and to laugh at myself,and in a strange way i sort of got made at myself and just said i,m going here or there and i'm not going to throw up. it took me about 3-4 months and it just went away.

labourg

Post by labourg » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:08 am

I was at the point (in my teenage years) that I would not go out at all to restaurants for fear of vomiting. I still (I am 31 now) refuse to go to amusement parks and still am leary about eating before I fly for fear of vomiting. I go out to eat now, and it was just a slow progression of exposing myself and then finding "safe" foods and then eventually being comfortable. Trying to focus outward instead of inward also helps! Good luck!

muchmuch

Post by muchmuch » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:04 pm

I have had this fear my whole life. It always seemed like I was the only one that had it. I've had it since I was about 6 years old and I'm in my 30's now. Are you taking any medication? Does that help to decrease the fear at all?

jennsufferer

Post by jennsufferer » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:01 pm

I really need help with this. It's ruining my life, i think about vomiting all the time, I take gravol everyday, after I eat, or if I feel alittle bit sick. I look at people to see if they're going to throw up, I don't go to restaraunts, I eat in my room alone, if I do eat. I can't go anywhere or do anything, I'm out of school because of this, and I need help please, I just want to get over this dibilitating fear. someone help me.

Coco2

Post by Coco2 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:37 pm

The best way to get over a fear is to experience it out, ie flying the more times you do it the more confidence you gain, it is through hard work that you are rewarded.

I too have a fear of vomiting, I am careful what I eat etc... however I got hit with a bug Saturday night, it was BAD!!! I don't know if it was food poisoning or a virus, but it got me!!!

The bottom line I survived!!!! It was uncomfortable and horrific and everything you can imagine, however I am now okay :) Remember our bodies are amazing machines and when something does not belong it comes back up....thank goodness!!!

So the best way to get over it is to use logic. Know that most people go for years without throwing up and if by chance you get sick KNOW THAT YOU WILL BE OKAY, YOU CAN HANDLE IT, BE WILLING TO EXPERIENCE IT THROUGH, YOU HAVE TO LEARN TO FLOW WITH LIFE AND NOT FIGHT IT. Ha ha I know easier said then done :)

Know that I went through that I am not as afraid as I was. I hated it but I handled it, really I had no other choice :) So try to get out and live your life and know that you will be okay.

Coco :)

justjen2

Post by justjen2 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:14 pm

Jennsufferer - maybe it's the name, I don't know, but I know exactly how you feel.

Since childhood, I've been extremely fearful of vomit, and I truly thought I was the only one in the world with the fear. I'm on Session Four of the program and really feel like I have some constructive tools to deal with my fears. As others have mentioned, self talk is something I'm trying. I just keep telling myself "no big deal, it's just the body ridding itself of something unwanted." It really helps
me to know that others shared my fears.

It so happens that I'm dealing with my second bout of a stomach virus in our house. My son had it last weekend, and my daughter has it right now. I'm seeking comfort and support in my tapes and in the knowledge I've gained thus far. Believe it or not, I'm doing pretty well. Months ago, I would have completely shut down and gotten "sick" myself. Tonight and last weekend, I have been attentive, caring and nurturing to my kids. I know I will get through it. Not without some negative thoughts and anxiety, but I will get through it :)

I truly hope you can begin the healing process too. I'll be praying for you.

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”