Waking up nervous

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
Deborah Evans

Post by Deborah Evans » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:21 am

hello everyone. I relate in some way to each of you. I must confess I was on session 6 & got discouraged & stopped for awhile. So guess what I decided to start over again. I am starting on session 2. I would always wake-up each morning with knots in my stomach & a sense of worry. Worry about what not too sure, but it hung on me like glue. I have been praying for help & relieve from the knots in my stomach & the constant worry. I have noticed in the last few weeks I haven't woke-up with the knots in my stomach or such a constant worry when waking up. I thank the Lord for that. But my biggest & main issue is the driving. I hear you when you say it is not the car, it is us who scares ourselves. I am able to drive through town & city streets, but NOT the freeway. The cars zipping by & the vast feeling leaves me panicky. I start feeling the panic feelings just approaching the on ramp. Well all of the tools I am suppose to do, breath, self talk just go right out the window. Then I get so angry at myself for not being able to face the fears. I have tried driving a couple of times on the freeway & could hardly wait to get off. Now you would think the next time would get easier, but not really. It seems just as hard as the first time. Any ideas or help on what any of you have been trying???
It seems like its hard to find too many people on the site with the same thing about driving. I hear people say just do it & get out there, but any ideas on how to do that when you start having those panicky feelings before you even get on the darn thing??
deb

Bracken

Post by Bracken » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:37 pm

My stress/worry results as a constant pain in the upper part of my abdomen. It's there 24/7. When I'm busy at work I can ignore it. When I get home I'm all alone and it's all I can focus on. The relaxation tape doesn't help much yet. I do it but the pain intensifies because I'm worried I'm not doing the relaxation techniques correctly. I'm getting about two solid hours of sleep each night. The pain will wake me up and be so intense that I end up walking all around the house. It's VERY frustrating and brings me to tears at times. The condition comes and goes about two times a year. It lasts about three months. I started the program last year and quit when I felt better. Now I'm also starting over...again.

osunrisedancer

Post by osunrisedancer » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:29 am

The thing about waking up anxious is very interesting for me. In fact I was just about to post a new topic about that when I saw this.

Why do you think we are anxious in the morning.. even after a good nights rest?

When I am anxious than it seems to be intense at night, and then I wake up with a racing heart. Not a good way to start my day!!! And of course I start worrying about the symptoms immediately. :( I'm just now on the second session, so I will be attempting to use the six steps to help with this.

I really thought what "drg" posted is interesting. Maybe I'll try those two ideas. Thanks drg :)

Rick S

Post by Rick S » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:13 pm

Hi Belinda,
I have the exact same trouble. Whenever I wake up I have a tension in my chest and stomach that is unbearable. This has been everyday for five years.
All I can say is never lose hope. I still wait for the day when my waking hours are not anxiety ridden....it will come. Just remember that there will always be time for change. That is what keeps me going.

Alice R. Gaeta

Post by Alice R. Gaeta » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:35 pm

I thought I was the only one that woke up with this feeling everytime that I wake up in the morning or when I take a nap, but I guess no one has the answer to this. When I listen to the cds. I never get to listen to them cause I go to sleep and when it finishes I wake up feeling more stress and anxiety then when I don"t listen to them, I'm suppose to be on Session 3 but I don't even know what they are all about like I say I go to sleep.

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:31 pm

Alice...I have a suggestion for you, since, it is very important that you listen to the CDs awake and not asleep ;)

I used to listen at them while my hubby was watching TV at night!!! If I was interested in the movie, myself, then, I would pause them and continue listening during the commercials!!!

I was sooooo funny, since, I ran around for months with the headphones over my ears!!!

I ordered some extra relaxation CDs from the StressCenter.com !!! They cracked me up when I first listened to them, but, I do have to tell you that I really began to enjoy them and like I said before....You never saw me without earphones over my ears!!!

I can remember going to bed at night with those earphones over my ears, and my hubby saying, "Please turn down the volume!" LOL..

I can look back on these things and laugh now!!! I am sure each of you will be able to do the same thing within the next few months!!!

God Bless Each of You on Your Journey to Recovery!!!

Alice R. Gaeta

Post by Alice R. Gaeta » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:24 am

Thank you for your response, it made me very happy. I 'm going to try and follow your advice. but it is so hard not to go to sleep, even when I sit down I go to sleep.

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”