Hypertension at 22.. What Now?

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
CeliaRoseQ

Post by CeliaRoseQ » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:10 am

This program is helping but now I'm scared. I am 22 years old, and have suffered with panic for 13 years... now my doc tells me I have hypertension, I'm right at the borderline for high blood pressure and he would like me to start a beta blocker. He knows I have panic disorder, etc and I trust his judgment, I am just a wreck.

What if I start pills and can never get off? Is hypertension deadly? I am afraid to start looking things up on my own because I'm afraid of what I would find. Any info would be appreciated!
"We are such stuff dreams are made of."
-The Tempest
William Shakespeare

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:08 am

Well I would say you should see if your blood pressure is high even when you are at home.

I have very high blood pressure when I go to the Doctor but it's just because of my anxiety, it is not that high all the time.

I did have a Doctor tell me once that I should be concerned of it being that high, but I ma not because it is not high all the time.

You know, they always want to give you a pill for everything that they think is wrong with you, and before going on a blood pressure med I would make certain that you really have Hypertension and not just having a problem with it when you go to the Doctor because of your anxiety.

Manda

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:41 pm

celia,
hypertension can happen at any age. But if thats what your doctor says you have, then it can be controlled.
Please dont panic, you have a very good doctor to realize it so young. Chances are the beta blocker will keep it where it belongs.. Yu may have to take one pill the rest of your life, but it will protect your heart and your life!!
but like the other person said,, buy a digital bp moniter,, it does everything for you. you just put the cuff on your arm and push a button.. and reads yur bp digitally. Thats what i have.
Take it in the morning after your up a while, but relax 15 minutes before you take it.. write it down... then take it once in the evening after you have relaxed for 15 or 20 minutes. write it down.. do this for a week or so,, when you go back to your doctor, take the readings with you...this will give him a more accurate reading, while your in a comfortable setting instead of a doctors office.... Take care Nelly:)

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:03 pm

Have you sat down with your doctor and really asked him about everything you can do to help yourself. I know it's scary and we almost don't want to hear about it because it makes us more anxious but the more we know the better we can take care of ourselves. I was told I had Hypertension just a year after my daughter was born, that was 3 years ago now. I'm still afraid of it but I'm always asking questions and if need be I put in a call to my doctor for a return call. You don't always have to make an appointment to ask a question to put you mind at rest. A beta blocker not only will help you but it is also wonderful for anxiety I hear. I'm not on one. It didn't agree with me. Exerices helps too, along with what is called the Dash Diet, eating foods high in potassium, drinking lots of water. These are all things you want to talk to your doctor about too. Just remember, early prevent and that's what your doing.

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:49 pm

Celia, I can see you hiding behind that little fan there.
You're cute.

Here's my 2 cents. I think that over half of all disease is caused by stress. As anxiety sufferers (for now!) we experience an elevated amount of stress. The thing is, it's self manufactured stress. We create it ourselves!

Hypertension at your age is almost certainly caused by stress. Learn how to deal with it! This program will probably help you with that.

It's helped me in many ways, and I'm not even finished with it. I can only see myself, after time, fully recovering from my demons. It may take years, but I believe it will happen.

Lucinda is a wonderful woman, she's really an enigma. She had these problems like the worst of us and she found out, against all odds, how to beat it.

Anything is possible when you start to gain control over yourself!

Post by Guest » Wed May 07, 2008 5:32 pm

hi i am also 22 and have borderline high blood pressure!!! the doctor wantd to put me on pills already too but i got the 24 hour blood pressure monityor and you take it eeveyr with you to see teh avg blodd pressure and its agood way to see how it fluctutates. i would highly reccomment to get one of these if you are really worried to make sure its notjus anxitey in teh doctors office that causes it to rise.

also stress is a big factor.. breathingh and yoga are good ways to destress and also eating lots of potassium which is highly found in bananads.. as well EXCEIRSE.. one o fth ebest things you can do for blood pressue. and also the dash diet . theres many books on it or info on teh nett.. mines still borderline.. but ive managed to keep it from rising.. try these things first :)

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:23 pm

After regular interval, This problem will get off. Laterly you will manage and analyze everything.

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”