I feel like noone understands me

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
LizMomof4

Post by LizMomof4 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:12 pm

I'm just listened to lesson 1 and I was feeling pretty positive about everything and hoping this might help me. This was until my husband started asking me all kinds of questions. He seems like he's mad at me and I don't know why. I tried to explain my anxiety to him and he just doesn't get it. There was a cd for the spouse to listen to and I gave it to him but I don't know if he will listen to it or not. I wish he would understand this is hard enough for me, the last thing I need is for him to yell at me.

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:22 pm

i'm so sorry. you are right. the last thing you need is the added stress of getting him on board with what you're doing. i hope it gets better and please know that there are MANY of us out here that have experienced what you are experiencing and there is support on the website. take care and keep up with the program. don't get discouraged.
jeanie

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:39 pm

Liz, some people just don't "get it", unless they've experienced anxiety. Do what you think is best. Stay encouraged. I'm on week 13, and the program has made a big difference in my attitude towards anxiety.

My biggest fear, was the anxiety itself. I no longer fear it!!! It's great!! Every week the anxiety will dissapate, and you'll have the tools to handle things.

God bless, Suz

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:59 am

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling better today. It helps to know there are people who understand what I'm going through and I'm not just crazy

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:34 am

a lot of people don't understand us. a lot of people do.

i'm glad you feel better. you're husband may come around. (he may feel a little threatened right now.)

it's worth it anyway! all the best!

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:46 am

Hi Liz,

I completely understand! I have a spouse who I say accepts but doesnt understand.. that is it in nutshell however I am now on week 4 and can say the farther I get ahead and the better I feel the less understanding I require. I am my own safe person I dont really want or need my spouse to completely understand or support my anxiety. Believe it or not sometimes it is worse when they do b.c. talking about it can create more anxiety!

Hang in there sista, your husband is also learning how to accept and help you, men dont tend to communicate or help when they have no idea how or where to start, by giving him the CD you have already given him a chance to learn!

Keep your head up and I know Lucinda also states in lesson 3 once you start healing and being positive, treating yourself well.. you wont feel a need to have the spousal encouragement and understanding, you are your own safe person!

We are all here from you, this is the only place/people that understand me and I cannot tell you how appreciative I am for the internet and the the program program!

Please keep posting and let us know how the journey is going, you can totally do this and I promise you'll be completely amazed with your transformation!

Keep with it girl!

BookOfPsalms

Post by BookOfPsalms » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:49 am

It's very true what everyone was saying about some people just not getting it. On the flip side, however, I found that what I was often interpreting as my husband "yelling" at me or criticising me, was in fact seen through my negative glasses, so to speak. I realized that I am a big part of the problem in our communications in that I am forever on the defensive thinking that I know what he is going to say (based on past stuff - which I have mentally dredged up!).

Regardless of your husband's reaction, the fact that he is asking questions at least shows he has some interest in what you are doing!

Hang in there - this program really, really works and it has helped so many people. I'm only on week 4 and I can see HUGE changes in everything - including my conversations iwth my husband AND his support of me in this program (btw - he didn't listen to that CD either! :) ).

Best wishes,
Dawn
+Let The Word Do The Work!+

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:28 am

Ok I have a flip side question......My husband understands more than I recognize, why am I not getting it? I am having problems with understanding myself? Does anyone else have this problem?

Patricia

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:34 am

hey there...

so I read your post and I know how you feel in that you feel so missunderstood...I love this chat/forum and program cuz its chock full of people who DO get me.

The key that I learned is that when I got better and started to be a better rounded person I didnt need my husband to understand my "problems"

What I really wanted was for him to accept me with the anxiety and that would have been the wrong thing.

You dont want him to get this you.....you want to recover and have him get the new you!

Listening to the tape would be helpful in his understanding of the types of things you feel and how to maybe better support you but you are the key.....you are the one that will make this all go away.....you can do it without him listening to this tape.

I know you can!
Believe me he will become more connected to you as you become healthier in your attitude and actions.

Im so glad youve bought your program it will change you life.......youve done the first huge step the best is yet to come!
Dodger

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:53 am

heis......

Its always easy to fix someone else than ourselves. Dont be discouraged if you cant see the light right away. As you grow and develope your skills you will start to see that changes come.
We are our worst own critics.

Like I said in the other post. Its not the outside people that need to understand the problem its us......when "we" get it and "we" fix it, it wont matter if they do or not cuz it wont exsist. You are the key to your recovery. your actions and your reactions to others thats the key.

Stay positive be your own cheerleader...you can do it you will do it.

thats all we need to understand we will recover!
Dodger

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”