Help - I'm so anxious - i can't even sleep....

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:06 pm

Originally posted by MarcusAurelius:
I too suffer from a racing mind and insomnia. I am taking anti depressants and sleep medication but the thing that gives me the most hope is the program. I am now on session 3 and have noticed that my anxiety attacks are fewer and less severe since I started the program. I've also cut out caffeine and almost all refined sugar. Exercise, even just going for a 30 minute walk each day has helped me sleep better. The thing is to not think too much about all the stuff you need to do or you will feel overwhelmed. Just keep at it one thing at time, moment to moment, one day at a time. Be patient with yourself and after a while you will see all you have done and feel better for having accomplished so much. Be appreciative and keep positive.
Marcus, think you got this right. I have been real frustrated with the sleep thing and it is exhausting...i am not going the ADs route but do a .5mg lunesta couple times a week or will take a tylenol pm when i wake up in the middle of the night. BUT the advise you gave on cutting out the caffine and the sugar plus some exercise has really helped with my energy level. the not thinking to much is key. we don't have to go there. Fresh air walking or jogging is HUGE! and you can do it when it's cold. Bunddle up... it's fun. Go to sleep counting my blessings... the program, the people journeying together and the HOPE.

in the battle,

runboy

keithjoy

Post by keithjoy » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:58 pm

i AM SO ANXIOUS RIGHT NOW I WANT TO RUN...I AM AFRAID OF TOMORROW. HOW CAN I HANDLE ALL THIS STUFF IT'S JUST TOO MUCH. IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE THAT CAN HELP ME??? I AM JUST TOO TIRED TO FIGURE OUT WHAT TO DO NEXT. I FEEL LIKE I CAN'T EVEN WORK THIS PROGRAM CORRECTLY. I AM STILL IN FIRST WEEK OF SESSIONS AND HAVING ALOT OF STRUGGLES. CAN SOMEONE HELP GUIDE ME ALONG A LITTLE? ANYONE HAVING SERVER ISSUES. GETTING FRUSTRATED :?

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:05 pm

Dear CCare...hang in there. I suffered from this problem for more than 30 years, but I finally kicked it. Lucinda's program is wonderful. I figured out that I could tackle this problem from inside out...the very first thing that helps is to learn to HEAR your inner chatterbox that shoots you fear thoughts constantly. Once you begin to 'hear' that, you can begin to disagree, to choose other thoughts and ways of responding to those uncomfortable feelings. Also FOCUS ON NOW, not the unpredictable future! There is hope...I kicked it and even just published a book about my strategies and experiences called "Anxiety Rescue." Please hang in there and know that if you persevere and really work on yourself, YOU CAN DO IT! Hugs, Kathryn Tristan

BookOfPsalms

Post by BookOfPsalms » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:29 pm

What about when you don't even think you are thinking about anything. You just feel that adrenaline inside and your stomach aches and you are nervous but you don't know why?
I have been trying to stop the caffeine and sugar and I was fine this weekend. All of a sudden I come to work and boom my stomach is clenching the whole time. I am thinking I am okay things are good today. What is it? I cannot pinpoint anything. I work at a call center and there are is a lot of stress not knowing which type of call is coming in next, but I have been here 9months and are pretty much set in the things to know. I is a stressful place in terms of tardiness and time off and 3 people were let go today which sent my stomach in knots right away, but then it passed. the stomachache and nervousness stayed though and I am still at work (on break) and it is still here. My mind is calm though. (FOR ONCE) So how do you quiet the body symptoms? I know at home I can do the tape. But while I am working I try to breathe, but it comes back. Any suggestions? Please HELP
Thanks,
Still HOPEFULL
+Let The Word Do The Work!+

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:36 pm

I feel that way a lot too. i have generalized anxiety so my mind can be calm and relaxed but my body feels like its going to jump out of it's skin! i don't know the best way to deal with it just yet...but i do try to get up and do something to try to rid my body of the tension. or taking a nap sometimes helps...also..lately i when i feel like this and i know i can't do my relax tape i just pretend im listening to it...we have listened to it so much that you know waht she is going to say..."you and i are a bout to take a wonderful journey together" just try to "listen" to her voice and music. also i try to picture a calming picture in my head. for me, i am always relaxed at my cabin by the lake nad i love to watch the loons...so i picture a loon on the still, calm lake. seems to help a bit...but im right there with ya!! its like the body wont' let go even if the mind has!! so frustrating!

Gman5256

Post by Gman5256 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:48 pm

Hopfulme, that is my exact question: "What about when you don't even think you are thinking about anything." I have the adrenaline inside me stomach and below my chest area and all that and I have no reason at all to feel that way. I'm not doing anything that could or would make me feel those things, there's nothing on my mind, there's nothing in my environment but good at the time, etc., and yet I feel this and it's horrible for me. I have medication. This one stopped working. I can do all the meditation, etc., in the world and I still can have it.
All for His praise, glory and the joy it gives Him.

Hugs, In His Love >:D<

Gman9259
"He who dwells in the secret place of the most
high shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty"

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:03 pm

Tracy just some suggestions
Have you had your thyroid checked?
Have you had your hormone levels checked?
Are you depressed and stressed?
Have you had a stimulated cortisol test?
Mine is like yours and I have a problem with all of the above.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:18 pm

Hi everyone.

When I posted this originally - I was feeling so anxious and horrible I couldn't sleep. But my extreme anxiety did eventually pass! It took a few days, but it did eventually subside.

Thanks everyone for you responses - as I'm new to the forum. I'm glad this topic has created some discussion (i.e. support, suggestions, etc.)

So for those that are suffering @ present - take solace - that this too will pass for you.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:19 pm

Dear hopefulme
I am glad to here you are working on the program. The body symptoms that come with anxiety can be uncomfortable and worrisome. But, If you can try not to focus on getting rid of the body symptom and just accepting it as part of the anxiety, the symptom will decrease over time. Do not be afraid of the body sensation. I know it is uncomfortable, but there is no danger. When you are feeling strong, try facing the body symptom feel it, face, take a good look at it. Even if it is for only 30 seconds, congratulate yourself. My main body symptom took a few months to disappear. So try not to focus on making it go away. Accept it and don't give it any value.
Good luck and keep at it. It WILL come :D
Presley

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”