Help - I'm so anxious - i can't even sleep....

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
LiJe

Post by LiJe » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:15 pm

hi.

i'm so anxious today. can't stand it. i want to go to sleep as i'm exhausted, but i feel so anxious i can't rest ....i can't even explain why i feel like this.

i'm presently waiting for lucinda's program to arrive.

any advice would be appreciated. thnx.

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:26 pm

I can certainly empathize with you. The nightime used to be a torture for me. Tossing, turning...pacing the floors. The relaxation tape always helped me. I never thought it would end and it will - Perserver my friend!

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:49 am

lije

I so understand how your feeling.....youve done a great thing ordering the program. In it you will find breathing techniques that you can do anywhere anytime to get past a moment you might be having. Theres a relaxation cd that is fabulous for calming down. I take mine when I go out of town so that I have something familiar with me. The program itself is just full of coping skills and encouragement and real people talking about how they have gotten through anxiety.
I found this to be so comforting to know that Im not alone. THeres always some person either here on forum/chat or on the lessons that has had the same thoughts or feelings as I have and its very reassuring that Im not "crazy" as I thought.

Hang in there...you are most likely feeling the anticipitory anxiety that comes along with trying something new. Ordering the program is a huge step to take so I would just sit back and relax the best you can.....try to sit and breath in and out slowly and rythmically and tell yourself I am ok....its just my anxiety it will pass. and believe me it will.

Come to chat and meet the people its a great great place to be and it will help you pass the time till your program arrives.

Good to meet you
Dodger

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:05 am

I'm new to this, actually my first posting. I have had insomnia issues for years and am currently trying to add an anti-anxiety Lorazepam .5mg and a Lunesta. It has helped some. I still wake frequently but am able to fall back to sleep. I have tried numerous OTC meds as well as herbal supplements and just recently have gone to the RX meds because I have had little success w/ the others. I take a relaxing bath nightly, listen to Lucinda's CD religiosly before bed, and drink chamomille tea. I really am trying but it is so frustrating. Good Luck and let me know if you find something that works for you!

samcat

Post by samcat » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:48 am

Hi There,

I know when I was on certain meds the insomnia was really bad! perhaps you should consult your doc?

I also try and change my anxious sleep energy into excitment! yay bedtime! my fav time of day! yay! have a bath, read, get new PJs make bedtime fun again!

Goodluck!

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:55 pm

Breathing Exercises!!
Relaxation!!

That cured all of the symptoms that your having. Many of us here, have had the same thing. It takes time with the Breathing Exercises, but it DOES WORK and WILL HELP. Be patient and through time, you will think wow that reallys works!

Let us know.

Nick

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:35 pm

Breathing exercises and exercise helped me. I didn't sleep for 8 months until the program. Exercise helped me so much. I started to walk and then do more. I did it every day for months but now I only have to go 4 days a week. I would suggest that when you get the program, keep the relaxation CD in your bedroon and listen to it in the middle of the night if you wake up. I put it on my ipod. But if you have any king of headset it will work. I would listen to it over and over until I fell asleep again. Don't expect it to work overnight. But in time you will sleep again, just fine.

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:06 pm

I thought that all of the anxiety and depression that I was having was biochemical and was diagnosed bi-polar, which I knew I was not. Even with meds my mind would race for hours and I could not get it to stop. I am always thinking ahead or in the past, and my wheels never stop. Also outside stress like working and having to babysit for my daughter on days that I have to work because she didn't have a sitter, and not getting enough sleep was putting me over the edge and I was getting more and more depressed that I was starting to not functuion anymore at all. I was becoming a basket case. I got this program right before Christmas, and I thought I was losing my mind. Even my daughter thought I was going to be committed soon. All the yelling and crying. I got this progam and I am taking it one day at a time. I get a little anxious one day and very calm the next. I have hope though. That is more than I had before. I have always been spiritual and was losing that too. Why could I not get a grip? Now I know I am not alone. I am realizing also that I have had this for years. I never knew. The other thing is the more I breathe, the more I notice the symptoms. I never noticed before because when a symptom would come I would stuff it with food or when I was using, it would be alcohol or drugs. Hopefully one day I won't even have to take antidepressants anymore. HOPEFULLY!! But I have to think of today. Breathe. Breathe. Calm down. Slow Down. It is so hard to stop thinking though. I have stopped the coffee for the most part. The sugar starts tomorrow. I did cut down but now I am going to cut it out.
Pray for me. I need it. Thanks for listening.
Still HOPEFUL

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:18 pm

I too suffer from a racing mind and insomnia. I am taking anti depressants and sleep medication but the thing that gives me the most hope is the program. I am now on session 3 and have noticed that my anxiety attacks are fewer and less severe since I started the program. I've also cut out caffeine and almost all refined sugar. Exercise, even just going for a 30 minute walk each day has helped me sleep better. The thing is to not think too much about all the stuff you need to do or you will feel overwhelmed. Just keep at it one thing at time, moment to moment, one day at a time. Be patient with yourself and after a while you will see all you have done and feel better for having accomplished so much. Be appreciative and keep positive.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:44 am

Oh believe me I totally understand. I take xanax to sleep and the night before did not sleep & woke up crying the next morning.... I am waiting for my program to arrive... My adviceto you is breathe... In hale deep for 4 counts and then exhale deep for 4 counts. This has been helping me get through the day. I also use lots of positive talk - say to your self "I will no longer harbor unhealthy thoughts" or the one that is helpingme most - i picture my live, my kidneys, my stomach, my lungs, my heart, my mind all smiling and then the finlay thing is i smile on my face.... These 2 things I got out of eat, pray love by Elizabeth Gilbert... Great book... I wish you all the luck in the world... Try to remain positve & that this will pass.... Surround yourself with good things. Good music, happy movies etc....

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”