driving

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
ronda stephens

Post by ronda stephens » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:54 pm

Hi
I am just starting the program but I too can not drive. I feel like a child. My daughters boyfriend takes and picks up my children from school. My kids only get to go out with friends if they have a ride. My husband works over the road so not only am I making myself hide at home but also my children and they resent me for this. My 15 year old can not wait to get a license to be able to finally go somewhere. I have tried meds and they don't help. I use to drive every where but now it seems like I am afraid of everything. I hope this program can help me find myself again. I don't evem know who I am or what I like anymore. I use to be outgoing and fun. I don't know what happened to that person but I want it back. Good luck to you all.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:22 pm

I have not driven in 5 years, It is a awful feeling. I get so scared and nervous, My husband has spoiled me byt taking me every plce I need to go. I know one day I will have to do it.
Good luck to you all with this same problem

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:51 am

i do better when i drive i feel like i can stop or turn around if i need to and have i just cant go on trips yet i used to about a month ago and then something snaped and attacks were back.when you finely do take that step ive got faith in you. you'll do great and when you do give yourself a pat on the back or a treat you deserve it good luck.

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:41 am

UGH!!!DRIVING IN NJ near NYC!!!! The worst!!!
You have no time to think sometimes. You cannot take a leisurely relaxing drive NO WHERE.
I love to drive...but not in my area. Maniacs. If there is a Motorterrorist out there I will find him. Just too many cars and too many idiots driving. I love the country to drive in but to find that here is out of the question.
Its the inconsiderateness and discourteous drivers that cause all the problems....they just dont care who they kill.

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:24 pm

Ahhh, driving is scary...you never know who is coming at you, or over you, or whatever. I drove a 27' motorhome for 9 years. One time I arrived downtown Seattle right at rush hour! I had a tape I played that sounded like singing angels, so whenever I was freaking!!! I would pop in that tape and it would relax me. One thing is the motorhome was so big most traffic wanted to get out of my way, ha ha. After this I got a tiny car and then was really nervous driving. I started again by making really short trips, doing the breathing exercise, congratulating myself for making it. It's been two years but now I'm driving without any nerves. I like to stay in the right lane so if something is happening I always have an escape off the shoulder. I wanted to drive to Phoenix from Northern Arizona to visit my daughter and was so scared, the news shows everybody crashing all the time, horrible accidents...I was really petrified. One day I just decided to do it and it was a totally uneventful trip, very pleasant, I had MapQuest so I wouldn't get lost on the freeway. That was a big breakthrough for me and I patted myself on the back a lot for that. Do a route you know for awhile until that feels comfortable, then just go a little further, slow and easy. There are some really BAD drivers out there, keep on the right out of their way. I have to drive 8 miles to get to a store on a two-lane highway, impatient people always want to pass you and often don't pay attention to what's coming the other way...idiots! That is the scariest. Amazingly, the majority of people DON'T HAVE ACCIDENTS, unlike how it appears on the news. They don't tell you how many people actually made it to their destination without dying! LOL. Personally, I'd rather ride a horse. The anticipatory fear, what if's, are much worse than reality.

I have finished the course and now have a thinking habit much better than I used to. I recognize when I'm going overboard in my head and can say "STOP", "replace those thoughts, before it gets out of control. It takes time to change the way we think, but it will happen if we keep catching ourselves and applying the lessons. Also, I say, pray and go, take Jesus with you! Love to all of you.
Marilyn

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:29 pm

Most people seem to want to go faster and faster, they want to hop over your car with their car. I keep with the speed limit then find myself keeping up with traffic and flying at 80 in no time. One thing I do do that works ALL the TIME....is slowing down...people will eventually go around and cut you off out of sheer anger but at least they arent up your butt. WHY DO PEOPLE WANT TO DO THINGS SO FAST IN LIFE IS BESIDE ME???? Isnt life passing us fast enough??? Lots of Morons out there, they need a good slap.

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”