driving

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:17 pm

Michael T
I am not sure, but I would love to be near the ocean, I miss that so much as we moved to Oh from the Philly area and the beach was only an hour or so away. My husband and I are going on a fact finding trip in the near future to see where we would eventually like to live.

Ps I did drive 30 miles by myself yesterday and it was great, started using the tools I am learning....I only stressed alittle...that is in self is a great thing for me. I am happy that this is working for you too:)

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:42 pm

Driving is my biggest problem. It started 2 years ago. For the last month I have not drove at all, The minute I think Im going to drive I go right into a panic attack. I bought a new car to and I have only drove it a few times. Thank god for my husband.
Is there any medicine that has helped with these panic attacks?
~Barb~

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:42 pm

Barb,
I am taking Zoloft,it really doesn't seem to help with the driving, I have been suffering with this for almost 20 years. My fear is driving alone and all of the what if's. I am absolutely fine if someone is with me. I am finding that this program is doing wonders. Let me know how you are doing, and I am curious about your specific issue with driving, I haven't heard of anyone that shares my exact fear. How far into the program are you? I wish you the best of luck.

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:52 pm

Thank you "Lovepalmtress's" I got to step 11 and now I think Im going to start over.I have had the program for a year now . Before this I would do all the driving and I always felt better when someone was with me. It just feels like it has this grip on me and it don't let go.
I can deal with all the problems with anzeity, But this one feels different to me.
It's one thing when its just myself ..But in a car I feel I have no control.
I see my medical doctor today and Im going to talk more to her about it. I tryed taking paxil and stayed on it for a month and I just didn't feel good on it. Right now I just take Xannax. I have been taking that now for 2 years. I wonder at times why I do take it
Im just letting my life pass by me because of this.
Yes, lets stay in touch!
~Barb~

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:35 pm

Originally posted by lovepalmtrees:
Barb,
I am taking Zoloft,it really doesn't seem to help with the driving, I have been suffering with this for almost 20 years. My fear is driving alone and all of the what if's. I am absolutely fine if someone is with me. I am finding that this program is doing wonders. Let me know how you are doing, and I am curious about your specific issue with driving, I haven't heard of anyone that shares my exact fear. How far into the program are you? I wish you the best of luck.

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:38 am

I used to be TERRIBLY afraid of driving and had a great success with using the <A HREF="http://www.drivingfear.com" TARGET=_blank>Driving Fear Program</A> in addition to Lucinda's program. I found they complemented each other very nicely and focused on different aspects of the condition, obviously with the former being more specialized on the specific phobia.

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:35 pm

thank you, i will have to try that.

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:48 pm

WoW! I'm so glad I'm not alone!! I've been suffering with this for a few years. I currently can't drive at all! When I get into the vehicle and get on down the road, I start getting dizzy and I feel like I'm going to pass out and I get so afraid that I'm going to hit someone! I can't even drive when there is someone with me, I used to be okay with that, but not lately, I've just been freaking out completely!! I'm getting ready to start the program, I'm praying it will give me the help I need! I want my life back!! I used to be soooo independent, I want it back!!

Fire Island

Post by Fire Island » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:42 pm

Hi Purple,
I know just what you mean and what your going thru. I just can't belive it has gotten this bad, I have tried everything to get over this and nothing seems to help. How can one get past the feeling that you might hurt someone else, People say just get in car and do it. Its eaiser said than done.
I also want my independency back, I just want these feeling gone.
I have learned how to control my anzeity pretty well, I beat myself up everyday over this problem. Is it ever going to go away or am I going to live the rest of my life like this.
I just started taking Lexapro, maybe it can change something in my brain.
Good luck to everyone!
~Barb~

ronda stephens

Post by ronda stephens » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:54 pm

Hi
I am just starting the program but I too can not drive. I feel like a child. My daughters boyfriend takes and picks up my children from school. My kids only get to go out with friends if they have a ride. My husband works over the road so not only am I making myself hide at home but also my children and they resent me for this. My 15 year old can not wait to get a license to be able to finally go somewhere. I have tried meds and they don't help. I use to drive every where but now it seems like I am afraid of everything. I hope this program can help me find myself again. I don't evem know who I am or what I like anymore. I use to be outgoing and fun. I don't know what happened to that person but I want it back. Good luck to you all.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”