driving

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
lovepalmtrees

Post by lovepalmtrees » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:09 pm

Hi
I am new to the group. I am wondering if anyone shares this problem,,,I am terrified of driving, when I am alone, I am so afraid of hitting someone, I worry about every bump. It tortures me for hours and I have no choice, I have to drive, it is ruining my life...anyone else dealing with this??

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:43 pm

I too have issues driving. Seems to be part of the anxiety thing. Keep driving and ignore the negative what ifs. It will pass.

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:53 pm

I was always a little anxious driving on the freeway but it never stopped me. I just drove over 800 miles on a vacation and was nervous days before; like an anticipatory anxiety. Recently I began on an anti-axiety drug and was driving and became extremely nevvous while driving alomost panicky having to pull off the freeway. Since then, I was in the hospital and have been using the bus right now till the new medication is settled in me and I feel relaxed enough to drive. Just start out on small trips then go further and further. I will begin driving again but not on the freeway. Good Luck and stay focused.

Mom of 6

Post by Mom of 6 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:03 pm

thank you, I hope you feel better very soon.
"O God, you are my God. Earnestly I seek you;my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. Because your love is BETTER than life,my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name, I will lift up my hands." Psalms 63

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:27 pm

Kristin
Thank you. I wish you luck as well.

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:07 pm

It is so nice to hear that I am not the only one. I have always had a hard time driving. Tonight, I had a huge break thru. I drove with my husband to a friends wedding rehearsal that was about 45 minutes away. (He always drives everywhere we go) He had to drive the grooms truck home, so I drove myself home. I have not done that is a long time!! I even called my mom to tell her about my "breakthru" Hang in there. Try driving with someone the first time to give yourself confience and do it by yourself. You will amaze yourself. I am!!!!! and it feels so good to have my indepence back! Reward your self for any little thing!!!!!! I am going to try the driving with confort CD!!!!!!! Hang in there, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:24 pm

farmerswife05,
thank you for your response. Way to go:) I am working hard on this..I want to be able to go anywhere at anytime. Let me know how you make out with the video. I am also going to purchase that. Have fun at the wedding.

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:39 pm

lovepalmtrees, and all, I too fear driving especially on the highway when I'm driving others in the car. Even though I know I am a great driver I fear that something will happen to me while I'm driving to hurt everyone else in the car. So stupid to fear such a common thing but it still affects me every day. However, the more you do it the easier it becomes, as most fears! (craziest part of this dilemma we all face) hope this helps as I am new to this program and shouldn't be giving advice.
(by the way also from Ohio and moved to Florida with a lot of palm trees. If it makes you happy make the move it's beautiful here!) made the 20 hour drive by myself and actually felt better once I drove across the Georgia/ Florida border and felt like I was "home".
Good luck to all of you and may all of us find our ultimate happiness!!!

forever young 06

Post by forever young 06 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:19 pm

thank you for your support and good wishes. this fear is really scary,but I am working on it. my hope is to move to Florida someday, it is my favorite place. Good luck to you and hope to chat with you agin:) (my goal is that 20 hour drive--keep your fingers crossed. Thanks again.

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:47 pm

you can so do it! If I made the trip twice you can do it easily. Just bring your favorite CDs and focus on your destination and you will love everything when you get here! What part of Fla. are you going to? East coast is a lot more laid back. West coast is crazy! Anyway good luck and safe trip!

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”