Night shift workers

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
PamelaRN1958

Post by PamelaRN1958 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:19 am

I am new to the program and have a question about anxiety and sleep. I have returned to nursing and have worked 3 12-hour nights/week. Could this be contributing to my overall anxiety? The work is somewhat easier on the night shift, but I work in a teaching hospital, which I love and need the pay differential. Any advice would be welcome.

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:21 am

feel irritable or sleepy during the day?
have difficulty staying awake when sitting still, watching television or reading?
fall asleep or feel very tired while driving?
have difficulty concentrating?
often get told by others that you look tired?
react slowly?
have emotional outbursts?
feel like taking a nap almost every day?
require caffeinated beverages to keep yourself going?

If so, your sleep patterns could be linked to your anxiety. Do what you must but ask yourself.. do the pros of working the night shift outweigh the cons? Best wishes to you Pamela! Keep fighting the good fight and God bless.

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:51 pm

The thing that concerns me is that for years I have had to take a medication to help me sleep due to stressful family situations. I have to take this med to sleep no matter how exhausted I am after a rough night's work. I simply cannot "turn off" my mind.

My life basically is sleep and work. That is the only way I can function and keep this job. I am fine at work.

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:09 pm

are you a diagnosed insomniac? or have you just come to depend on sleep meds through the years?

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:55 am

I worked nights for 11 years and felt horrible during the day and during the night. With sleep cycles are flipped around mu physician has said that it could contribute to my anxiety.

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”