HELP!!!!!

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
juliaL.P.N

Post by juliaL.P.N » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:43 pm

Hi! my name is Julia,I'm 32 and have two kids and I'm a Nurse, at a nursing home.Sometimes I have Panic aattacks at work.It's terrible I feel alone because there is no one to help me because I'm the nurse.Sometimes self talk does help, but if a fall 10 minutes behind in the morning the day shift Nurses are angry because I'm behind and they say some really mean things to make me feel bad in front of staff,residetns and families.I've never say anything back but I drive home thinking of what i should have said. After all I can't tell them I was behind because I had a panic attack. What could I do?

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:52 pm

Hi from one nurse to another...I can relate to what you are saying and wonder what sort of teamwork is present at the nursing home where you work...safety of patients is really important and getting behind because of meeting a patient's need seems common, as is understaffing for the job etc...not having the right words to respond is always something I have dealt with (rehashing on the way home)--as you continue the program things may get better. Are you sure this is the work setting you want? Nurses have so many opportunities, and many choose to work in home care because of the individualized attention they can give, instead of the more custodial level many nursing homes have...I am assuming you are LPN or RN?

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:02 pm

Thanks, I'm a L.P.n. there is no team work At the Nursing home I work at everyone would rather yell and point fingers or run off to the D.O.N. than pitch in and help. I just started the program, Iknow there is alot of opportunites for nurses Iwould love to do home health care,but that thought scares me rightnow.because of the panic attacks. I'm proud after 11 years I'm finally getting help. But, Theplace I work at is terrible.

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:09 pm

HI Julia--I thought that was what you might say about the work environment...nursing facilities can be toxic and women are bad to each other as if they had forgotten whey they went into nursing to begin with...sometimes a great manager can make a difference but they are rare. It is wonderful that you are getting help through the program (I am feeling that it took me 30 years to get started) and in time make a new position your goal...that is reasonable and achievable thing!

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:22 pm

Thank you> :D :D

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:16 am

Hi Julia,

Nurse here as well.Worked in a nursing home before,worst environment I ever encountered,but if you think it's not the right job for you have something else to go to before you leave.Don't worry if your not as nasty as the other nurses to defend yourself, that thought process is only a waste of time.

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”