Help - Words of Encouragement?

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
jharmon1

Post by jharmon1 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:35 am

I just got done listening to the audio portion of session 3 and am praying that I will be abal to replace negitive thoughts with positive believable thoughts. It sounds like it is going to be pretty tough to do. Since this is a very important session, say Lucinda, is there any one that can offer me any suggestions to help me be more positive at the way I think? I tend to have a lot of negitive thoughts, especially about being panicky and driving with others. Can anyone help with some up lifting words of advice for me? Thank you in advance and God bless.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:11 am

I get really anxious while driving too, although mine is not so much feeling panicky as it is getting annoyed and/or angry with other drivers. One of the homework assignments was to give as many compliments you can to yourself and others, so when I'm driving to and from work, I look around and try to mentally compliment everyone and everything I see, one thought right after another. For example, "that person walking has an adorable dog", "that guy jogging is working hard to be healthy and fit", "I love watching the geese when they come to town for the winter", "it's so beautiful outside; I'm so fortunate to live in such a beautiful city." I also try to turn negatives into positives, like "I'm not upset that person slowed down and caused me to miss the green arrow. He's driving very cautiously, which is great! Besides, I'm not in a hurry."

I try to keep that dialouge going all the way home. Sometimes it seems kind of silly, and I have to laugh at myself, but it really seems to break the tension, and I'm much calmer when I get home.

So my advice would be to keep a running positive dialogue going, even if it seems forced or goofy. If nothing else it should keep you distracted from some of the bad thoughts. Good luck!

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:33 am

RKAT: That is a wonderful way to think positively. I think I will try that.
The thing that I do is to stop, breathe, remind myself to stay in the present moment. Look at my surroundings. Listen to the tape in the car or when I have listened to it enough, I put my favorite radio station on and sing.
Practice is what is going to make us "perfect". The more we do it the more natural it will seem. Riding a bike was akward at first, and then the repetition made us better. The same with everything else. Time. We have plenty of that right? Thanks again.
Stay positive and Breathe.
HOPEFULL

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”