my wifes giving up on me

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
Darren John

Post by Darren John » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:48 am

hi folks
ive suffered panic attacks/severe anxiety everyday for the last 18years.some days are better but at the moment i`m really struggling.its so hard just to go outside.Im usually a happy person with a smile on my face no matter how i feel.the thing is my wife of five years is starting to give up on me.she says i spoil everything because i cant go anywhere and tonight she really had a go at me saying you`ll never get better and i dont understand and i dont want to understand your silly tapes.i think the world of her but this condition is ruining my marriage.i love her and my kids so much but times running out.i am so sick of this damn condition.we booked into an hotel for my birthday but i cant go because its 20 miles away and i struggle to go to the end of the street.what makes it worse is i`m losing my will to smile anymore.

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:53 am

Darren John,

I was agoraphobic too. I had major trouble just going to get my mail 20-30 feet away from my home. I dreaded going out anywhere. My husband was taking off from work too taking me to doctors because I also had some hypochondria set in. I had terrible symptoms and eventually in my quest for answers (before I ever got the program) my husband could not take more days off. I then was left not only to leave my home, but drive as well. I had thoughts of my car running off the road and smashing up into a tree. I cried the entire drive there. I was shaking, so very terrified. I did make it to the doctors office. I fought through it and told myself that I NEEDED TO DO THIS FOR ME BECAUSE THERE WAS NO ONE ELSE THAT COULD DO IT. I was put into a position that I just had to do it. And I did. Several years back I also had issues going out for New Years. I was physically sick from symptoms, I then had the program and used those "silly tapes" with skills on them. I was able to go out on crowded New Years to a completely booked Seafood/Steak house with my husband, step daughter and her boyfriend. It took everything I had to convince myself I would be ok and that I really could pull this off, but I did. Since then I have drove over 600 miles in one shot with a huge SUV and car trailer, drove in snow storms, rain storms, gone out on New Years, attended concerts, plays and other crowded venues.

You WILL get better! Try everyday to push yourself, get out of the house. I started by getting my mail, then just walking in front of my home, the several houses down, a block, 2 blocks and then walking for over a hour! I can go hike in the forest preserves now.

I saw that the only limits set were by the ones I made for myself. I believed in some fear. A fear that I created and believed to be true that was false. I thought I was gonna die because the attacks were horrible, but I never died! I also thought I would pass out in the store or driving, but never did.

Try watching funny movies to lift your spirit. Read comics, watch stand up comedy. It is good to laugh. TRY to walk, exercise helps a lot. I had this pent up energy (anxiety) that exercise is a great outlet for. Eliminate sugar, caffeine and junk food from your diet as well. Whatever you do do, TRY EVERYDAY! Do not give up! It does get better!

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”