Is this Okay?

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
jharmon1

Post by jharmon1 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:20 pm

Unfortunately, I did not get a chance today to do my relaxation session since I was tied up in many different things. I did read my session card in the morning and I have been "observing" my thoughts. This is the first day, since I received my program that I did not take the time to do my relaxation. Has anyone else done this or have any comments to help me? Thank you and best wishes to all.

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:06 pm

hi jharmon i to just started the program. but online chat i have read that some people got to busy to do thier cd's or homework...i don't think it's a big deal as long as you don't make a habit of doing that and get on it asap. good luck to you

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:06 pm

WELL IT IS A LOT OF TIME CONSUMING.

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:06 pm

Yes it happens some days you get busy don't beat yourself up over it honey. But it is important to do to help in your recovery so just make sure you make time for it tomorrow. The other advise I could give you is to make sure you do the homework in the homework book it makes all the difference in success with the program. Take care and good luck in your journey to new health.
Mimi

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:56 am

Just remember that we are all perfectionists and want to do it "right", but right for you may not be right for me. If you miss a day - no big deal! Don't beat yourself up over it or set unrealistic expectations for yourself of "doubling up tomorrow" or something like that! Just concentrate on getting better. The "observing" part is very, very important. Good for you for keeping up with that!

Best wishes,
Dawn

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:58 pm

Hi jharmon1.

If you have the time to talk on "chat", you have the time to do whatever you "need" to do. Don't start putting off something that's so important.

Bren30, Don't do your program by the way other people do theirs. Do it the way the program says. Anxiety is different for everyone. Their anxiety or depression may not be as bad as yours and they may not mind taking longer for recovery. If you start chatting so much that you can't work the program, you're going to end up with a lot of friends and the same anxiety and depression.

prv31mom, It's not about perfectionism or doing what's right for you or me. It's about doing it like lucinda meant for it to be done so that it works as she intended. There are so many posts on this site by people who did it the way they felt they needed, and ended up with more anxiety and had to do it over again because it didn't work. It wasn't that it didn't work, it was that they didn't do it right.

Take care. DeeDee.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:16 pm

Originally posted by jharmon1:
Unfortunately, I did not get a chance today to do my relaxation session since I was tied up in many different things. I did read my session card in the morning and I have been "observing" my thoughts. This is the first day, since I received my program that I did not take the time to do my relaxation. Has anyone else done this or have any comments to help me? Thank you and best wishes to all.
Just do it again tomorrow! I have been attending mindfulness meditation classes and also doing a daily yoga practice which has the same effect on me as the relaxation CD. Lucinda's voice and her guided imagery are amazing. We have to make time for this. We've made so much time for anxiety and worry, what's another 15 minutes? Some days I feel like I need more than 15 minutes or if I've already attended meditation, I may not listen to Lucinda if I feel my body and mind already quiet and calm. Good luck, and don't stop relaxing! Put your CD on now!

sandy krahn

Post by sandy krahn » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:52 am

Morning all! :)

Just to clarify - I hope no one thought I was name-calling or anything about the perfectionism. Lucinda specifically stated somewhere either in the introductory materials or in the first 5 weeks (I'm on 6 :) ) that you may ned to take longer on some weeks and that's OK. The guidelines in the front of the workbook are, of course, the best and most recommended way to go, but I think people with our type of problems and concerns sometimes pile on too much of "Oh - I didn't do that exactly like it said today" mentality and get discouraged. Sometimes that discouraged feeling can cause them to quit the program entirely because they didn't do it "right" or "perfect". You are right, of course, though deedee, the way Lucinda suggests is the best - it's definitely been time-tested and proven! :)

Best,
Dawn

KDlady

Post by KDlady » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:36 am

Hi dawn. I did not think you were name calling and I hope that you don't think i'm being too hard on you, but I know first-hand what could happen if you don't do the program the way it was meant. I didn't do it right the first time because after a couple of weeks I felt much better then the anxiety came back and was even worse than before. There are so many posts on this site from other people saying the exact same thing. We don't always have to learn things on our own, Sometimes we can learn from other people's expeiences and save ourselves some grief... :)

Take care. DeeDee.

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”