Feel as if something is pulling you back

Are you needlessly dragging around a one-ton bag of guilt and worry? Here are some techniques that help reduce guilt and worry in your life to produce dramatic, immediate changes.
It'stimetolivefree

Post by It'stimetolivefree » Wed May 07, 2008 11:22 am

I feel as if my moods and thoughts are getting better! However, everytime Ithink about something positive in the future its as if something pulls me back and doesn't want me to enjoy it. I think it could be uilt or just anxiety thinking of fun positive things as if I was't deserving or something. Then it makes me think that those negative thoughts or that force pulling me back is actually me. But I continue to tell myself this is my anxiety/fear/depression or whatever it is and I really want and deserve those things. ANYONE EXPERIENCE THIS?

dj63

Post by dj63 » Wed May 07, 2008 11:49 am

I think I can understand what your saying...

When positive uplifting opportunities present themselves and I'm truly excited about where I'm more than sure a natural serotonin uplift has occured I feel the tension in my body. My therapist calls it "Body resistance". Basically meaning that the body or well my body is resisting the good time! Or the opportunity to feel good because it is not use to it......so what does it do? It resist's with tension and muscle tightness which basically it now goes into an anxiety mode not panic mode but anxiety mode.......But I was taught keep exposing myself to positive and happy and uplifting things and sure enough a positive shift will happen with the body and the mind..True enough it does go away...but when its time to be happy in the present it does it again but then it goes away.......it is getting better and yes it does get better........Keep going for the beautiful moments that take your breath away..............

Blessings

Post by Guest » Wed May 07, 2008 12:18 pm

I get pulled back all the time. FOr me, it's a learned behavior to think the worst and almost feel sorry for myself for what I've been through. Sometimes when things are good, it's too good to be true and I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop so I miss the good times anticpating a bad time. Just got to turn that thinking around and think positive instead of the customary negatives!

Post by Guest » Thu May 08, 2008 4:21 am

Interesting what Believer08 brought up about the body resistance. I've been noticing the body tension sometimes now when I'm feeling really good. It's like the old thoughts are saying "hey, you can't feel good, you're not used to it" I've been trying to tell myself daily that it's OK to feel happy about something and it's Ok to feel good. It's a real eye opener to think that I actually believed I didn't deserve to be happy or feel good! Boy, how our thoughts twist things sometimes huh?

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:14 am

YES I TO HAVE THIS SAME PULL OR SET BACK MYSELF AND ITS WHEN I START THINKING ABOUT THE THIHGS I WOULD LIKE TO ACHEIVE IN LIFE THAT ARE POSITIVE AND CAN'T MAKE IT HAPPEN RIGHT NOW, I GET VERY DEPRESSED AND THE REASON FOR THIS IS BECAUSE I AM IN BUSINESS FOR MYSELF AND I'M USE TO HAVING TOTAL CONTROL AND DOING THINGS WHEN I GET READY. BUT NOW THAT THE ECONOMY IS SLOW IT HAS REALLY EFFECTED MY BUSINESS, SO NOW I FILL LIKE I AM BEING JERKED BACK AND FORTH MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY AND I KNOW THIS IS CAUSE BY THE ANS/DEP . BUT WE CAN OVERCOME THIS I DID 22YEARS AGO AND WITH THE HELP OF ALL OUR FRIENDS HERE WE CAN DO IT AGAIN WITH GODS HELP AND LOTS OF PRAYER THANK GOD WE CAN LIN ON HIM. GOD BLESS AND MERRY CHRISTMAS

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:48 pm

I always think the worst is going to happen.That does hinder me sometimes. :roll:

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:06 pm

Believer08:
I think I can understand what your saying...
your post really hit home. The "Body resistance" thing. When I get invited to go somewhere or even have to go to church, it's like the body is telling me "no." This is with everything I do. Anytime I have to get in the car to go somewhere there's resistance and I think I'm doing a bad thing. Most of the time when I get invited somewhere I don't go, but I have been getting out some. Anxiety comes into play too and also scary thoughts.

Return to “Session 9 - Get Off the Guilt & Worry Treadmill”