How to get off medication

Are you needlessly dragging around a one-ton bag of guilt and worry? Here are some techniques that help reduce guilt and worry in your life to produce dramatic, immediate changes.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 18, 2001 3:44 pm

I have had panic attacks for many years, and am taking medication for it. However, I would like to get off the medication and use it only when I have an attack, and not everyday, but it seems that when I try to get off the medication, I get so stressed that every bone in my body is totally tight, and I feel so stressed that I get back on it again. I am actually afraid of being that stressed. I wonder what will happen to me if I am that stressed for very long.

Senior Citizen

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 18, 2001 7:57 pm

Hi Helen, What sort of medication are you taking? It would help to know this, in terms of 'how to get off it'. With some, you can go off very, very slowly. With other types, you may need to take another medication to HELP YOU wean off the original one. Many, many years ago, when i went off valium, i had to enter a facility for this sort of thing, as the withdrawal from this drug was very intense. If it's an anti-depressant, i doubt you would ever have to do that. Although there certainly can be withdrawal symptoms when going off certain anti-depressants. A friend of mine has had to remain on the very lowest dose of a med. called Effexor, because when he tries to go completely off it, he looses his balance. Could you let us know what you are taking? God bless, Lindi

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 18, 2001 8:08 pm

Hi Helen,

Have you talked to your doctor about this?
If you haven't I suggest you do. You have to be very careful when you take medications. I wouldn't be altering them without his or hers advice.

Being under stress can have alot of effects on your body. Make an appointment and let me know how you are doing. Just talking this over first with your doctor should ease your mind.

Sincerely,
Diane
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Helen Hayes:
I have had panic attacks for many years, and am taking medication for it. However, I would like to get off the medication and use it only when I have an attack, and not everyday, but it seems that when I try to get off the medication, I get so stressed that every bone in my body is totally tight, and I feel so stressed that I get back on it again. I am actually afraid of being that stressed. I wonder what will happen to me if I am that stressed for very long.

Senior Citizen
</font>

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 25, 2001 12:12 pm

Hi Helen! I replied to your other post and I just want to say that you need to give yourself some time to feel ok after you taper off these meds! You do feel worse for a while,but I think that is important to feel! I am also going without the Ad's as I need more self confidence and I always attribute any accomplishments to the meds ,not to me! It is a good idea,if you and your Dr decide this together!Weigh the risks and benifits of either choice! You will make the right one! Take care Kristi

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:14 am

John Delk is a conceptual artist living and working in Brooklyn, NY. Currently he is creating a sculpture which requires a large number in antidepressants. Once completed "BANG" will be installed in a gallery hanging from the ceiling.

If you have any antidepressants (Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft, Wellbutrin Effexor, Celexa, Luvox, Lexapro. Cymbalta, Nardil, Parnate, etc.) that are not being used or that you do not want to use, please donate them to help realize "BANG". Leftover pills from a prescription switch and/or expired pills are welcome, as are donations from people who have decided to go off of medication.

We would be happy to pick them up at a location convenient for you if you are near New York, Vancouver, Houston or San Francisco. Or, if you prefer they can be mailed anonymously. Please call or text Molly at 917-664-0246 to obtain an address, or contact me through the website listed below.

If you are interested you can see examples of John's work at <A HREF="http://www.johndelk.com" TARGET=_blank>www.johndelk.com</A>. Also, please feel free to ask us any questions you may have about the project.

I will be happy to email additional images of the work in progress to anyone who is interested

Return to “Session 9 - Get Off the Guilt & Worry Treadmill”