Doing this session a 2nd week: I need it. Anyone else?

Are you needlessly dragging around a one-ton bag of guilt and worry? Here are some techniques that help reduce guilt and worry in your life to produce dramatic, immediate changes.
peony

Doing this session a 2nd week: I need it. Anyone else?

Post by peony » Wed May 23, 2012 1:14 pm

I am starting my second week on this session. Probably the most challenging one so far. I have the daily diary, the daily negative thoughts booklet, the relaxation CD, and now the "changing 3 worries into action strategies" 21 day program. Also doing once a week lists of forgiving others and forgiving myself and studying the lists.

It seems to be SO much work. Plus it's really not that easy to bring out all the old guilts and hurts and worries I have managed to bury down there, but which still exist. It's amazing how I have been able to hold onto so many very old hurts and guilts over the years. I dont usually think about them but this session has got me digging into places that are really uncomfortable. It's hard to face.

Any comments? If you reply, THANKS

ps I had a real nice success last week due to the "changing worries into actions" program. I was feeling guilty/worrying about not paying enough attention to my mother in law who lives in a different city. Because of the program, I decided to change the worry into action. I spoke to her on Mother's Day and found out she needed summer clothes and cant get out shopping. I ordered her 3 tops on line to be sent to her. She phoned me yesterday that they all fit and she was happy. Worry? NO worry!

LyndaLu

Re: Doing this session a 2nd week: I need it. Anyone else?

Post by LyndaLu » Wed May 23, 2012 4:05 pm

Well, I think I worked on Session 8 for two weeks. Then I took a week off. Now I am finally
STARTING Session Nine. All I have done so far is listened to the Session Nine CD TWICE.

After reading your post I am almost scared to open the workbook :lol: .
I think this is going to be a tough Session for me and a long one.
I can listen to all of the CD's and read all of the workbook chapters, but putting things into ACTION
is one of my biggest problems. I hope I am getting SOMEWHERE with this program.
I have been working on each Session for two weeks and so it will take me 30 weeks to complete
the program at this pace.

You sound like you are doing a really great job on Session Nine ! You seem to have it all
together and are putting your plans to action. Keep up the great work !
I will keep in touch with you on my progress, if there is any :shock: .

Lyda

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Wed May 23, 2012 4:16 pm

peony wrote:
ps I had a real nice success last week due to the "changing worries into actions" program. I was feeling guilty/worrying about not paying enough attention to my mother in law who lives in a different city. Because of the program, I decided to change the worry into action. I spoke to her on Mother's Day and found out she needed summer clothes and cant get out shopping. I ordered her 3 tops on line to be sent to her. She phoned me yesterday that they all fit and she was happy. Worry? NO worry!
Isn't this a great feeling !

My mother is elderly and is almost a shut-in. I try to bring her to the grocery store every
week for her to do her weekly grocery shopping. And I try to bring her over to the drugstore too. If she is feeling
good, we may even go out for breakfast or for lunch. If she has a doctors appointment then I will drive her to and
from her doctors appointment. I am unemployed right now and so I feel that I can spend more time with my mother
than I used to be able to when I was working. When I was working 40 hours a week I was tired and irritated after a
long work week and I did not feel as eager to help her out. She is all alone, as am I, so I know what it is like to be
alone all of the time and to have that loneliness. I think that is one thing that my mother and I have in common, we
are both alone. I hope that spending time with her gives her as much joy as it gives me. I really feel like I am
contributing to her well being and that makes ME feel good. But I have to beware of those high expectations too,
sometimes I have them and I have to watch out. I cannot expect her to feel the same way as I do about our visits
together.

I am glad your mother-in-law was pleased with her gifts. She was probably overjoyed to receive
those tops in the mail.

Keep up the great work and keep in touch,
Lynda

Iwillbebetter

Post by Iwillbebetter » Wed May 23, 2012 6:34 pm

I was on this session when I moved. Then I ended up taking a break while moving and after. I am now finally starting to get back to it so to say, but think I'm going to go back to session 7 I think it was - the assertive one. But I know when I get here I am going to be spending more than my normal 2 weeks. I had not gotten to the workbook yet. Only listened to the session a time or two. If I have to dig into my old guilts and things it will probably be a good 3-4 weeks I spend in that session. I know that is a MAJOR thing for me. The guilty feelings. So often do I let them "lead my way" so to say!! I think my oldest child has somewhat learned this about me also. It will be so nice to finally make that change, and put the worry and guilt behind me!!!

Love to hear how you were able to change the worry into action. :) As anxious as it makes me to think about it, I can also feel some excitement :)
"Only rainbows after rain, the sun will always come again, and it's a cirlce, circling around again it comes around again...."

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Fri May 25, 2012 9:32 pm

I saw ALL of the homework for Session Nine and then I shut my workbook :shock: .
It was just overwhelming. It will be a while before I move on with this Session.
Perhaps it is the Session that I would benefit the most from, but it would also be the
Session that requires much more work on my part. I hated homework in school and I
think I hate it now too :o .
Lynda

peony

Post by peony » Sat May 26, 2012 1:05 am

I have been having worries over being able to come up with meals for 7 people for maybe 4-5 days coming up in late July. My daughter's sweetheart's parents whom I have never met. I am not a confident cook. For years I have been afraid to barbeque. One of the goals I made to turn the worry around is to learn how to barbeque. I saw a pretty easy skewered steak recipe thing with peppers and onions, went out and bought the steaks and asked a couple of "safe" friends over. It was a very tasty meal and everyone loved it and I was so well prepared that it wasnt as hard as I thought it would be to barbeque.

Yes! I did it for 4, I can do it for 7 !! Just double the amounts. I think I took a slice out of that worry.

On another note: I find that some of the goals I set are a little difficult and I am avoiding actions. I will make the goals a little easier to do, like day 1 look for another recipe
day 2 buy the ingredients
day 3 invite someone to help me test the food
day 4 actually prepare the meal to see if I like it

Bye for now

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Thu May 31, 2012 3:01 pm

peony

You are doing a great job on your planning for your late July dinner(s) !
You are so organized and you are on the right track. I think the meals will turn out well.
The food you described sounded DE-LISH. I hope you find the recipe(s) you are looking for.
Have a great summer.
Lynda :)

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Thu May 31, 2012 3:09 pm

I am stuck in Session Nine. I think this will be my toughest Session.
I am totaly avoiding it and I am sort of in a "holding" pattern right now.
Worrying is second nature to me and it seems to be built into my "hard-drive".
It is going to take me a while to get all this information into my head.
The homework for Session Nine is too much for me to comprehend all at one time.
Hope I am not "stuck" in this Session for too long because I want to move on.
God Bless.
Lynda :)

peony

Post by peony » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:12 am

Hi Lynda,
I was having trouble getting onto this site for a few days.

I have had some bad days where I couldnt get motivated and was stuck in my worries. Still am. I moved onto session 10 on Monday and having trouble keeping focused on this too. Will do session 10 again next week.

Some stuff is happening in the family which I am afraid to stand up to. I need to be assertive but I am afraid everyone will turn on me if I stand up. I am afraid they will discount what I say and think I am just being paranoid and complaining and being negative. I cant figure out whether these fears are true or not. I'm afraid I have relapsed right back to where I was before starting the programme. I feel discouraged. I was always the one in the family that "told" on others as a kid (probably to get attention) and I am afraid I am going into that mode. But there are REAL concerns that people need to know about.

My husband says to let it go for awhile and work through the feelings and thoughts. He is probably right but I am not getting any satisfaction and feel tense all day long, even with the 45 min walk every day. (Thank God for the walk and the no caffeine of I'd be out to lunch).

I'm sorry you seem to be in a funk too. Lets promise to do the program to the fullest tomorrow! I wish you determination and focus!

peony

Post by peony » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:14 am

ps The BBQ steak skewers were great and everyone enjoyed. I invited "safe" people, not the persons who I havent seen for a long time and need to forgive. The meal and socializing were great, though.

Return to “Session 9 - Get Off the Guilt & Worry Treadmill”