How to cope with the treadmill and obsessive thinking.

Are you needlessly dragging around a one-ton bag of guilt and worry? Here are some techniques that help reduce guilt and worry in your life to produce dramatic, immediate changes.
Zoe_M

Post by Zoe_M » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:54 am

Hi everyone,

I am looking for suggestions on how any of you have successfully worked on this portion of the program. I find this part very difficult at times since my obsessive scary thoughts make me feel guilty for even thinking them.

This can fuel the obsessive fear thoughts so it's important to try to let myself feel free of the guilt associated with these thoughts.

Currently, I tell myself that it's ok to have these thoughts, they are part of the bad habit I developed over the course of my life. That can work for extended periods of time, but then I feel guilty for not being the person I want to be for my kids. This will fuel the obsessive thinking.

Can anyone relate to this?

I would appreciate any feedback with how you are or have learned to manage these guilty thoughts.

Zoe

~*schnauzermom*~

Post by ~*schnauzermom*~ » Wed May 06, 2009 6:30 pm

Zoe...Beating yourself up does not accomplish anything!!! You could go around 24 hours a day feeling guilty, and this would not solve anything!!!

Remember...Guilt trip...I won't buy the ticket!!!
"Afterall, everybody only hears what he understands." by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Nicky B.

Post by Nicky B. » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:12 am

Hi Zoe, I am back on posts to say that guilt and resentment go hand in hand. I have felt the way you do and wanted to respond. When you have one of these thoughts you should think about something else more like System Desynsitizing your neg. thoughts to something that you can do to change the way you think. Our thoughts can be reversed using this process above and you can let go once you've practiced thinking differently when a neg. thought comes up...

creamcheesepuff

Post by creamcheesepuff » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:19 am

I too have a continuous flow of negativity. I totally agree with Nicky B. Develope a simple pattern to deal with too, not something that will make more stress on you. When a negative thought pops in, I replace it with something nice, good and relaxing. I immendiately put a RED STOP SIGN in front of me to cancel that thought out. Its tough, especially when things come right after another.

creamcheesepuff

Post by creamcheesepuff » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:25 am

Another thing, WE live in a world where bad news is the norm unfortunately, We all are overloaded with it....We must seek out great company, good music, sitting in the sunshine once a day, eating right, exercise, and finding all the GOOD that surrounds you. I think we LOOK for the negative in life because we are conditioned by other outside forces this way, such as the news, annoying complaining people, junk food, and sitting around all day.
Its a hard job these days to BE HAPPY and its not totally our faults, society and the worlds events have a big part in it too.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:30 pm

I ditto your response, Creamcheesepuff! You are so right about how the world can be so negative. It is a constant battle against ourselves and the world outside. So the battle begins! :)

creamcheesepuff

Post by creamcheesepuff » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:44 pm

We are not alone here on this site, we have support.....BUT...in this fight to conquer depression and anxiety its the POWER you find within yourself. I put alot of my faith in God after almost a almost collapse mentally. No one will help myself EXCEPT MYself!!! Same for you.

Return to “Session 9 - Get Off the Guilt & Worry Treadmill”