I'm agnostic.

The spiritual response to anxiety and depression

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:37 pm

Originally posted by equestrian1:
I always keep in mind that it was written and interpreted by man and therefor it is imperfect.
Hello equestrian1,

Where in the Bible does it say that it is imperfect? If you are imperfect yourself, how do you know that it is not perfect?

I was rather taken back when I read this and naturally you are free to believe what you want. I was not going to bother to comment to this but my conscience would not let it get away from me. It is because you made this statement claiming to be a Christian and I did not want what you said to be a possible stumbling block to those who may already be struggling over what Christianity and the Bible is all about.

If you believe that the Bible is the Word of God then the term “Imperfect Word of God” would be an oxymoron. How can the Scripture be given for instruction in righteousness [right doing] if the scripture is not right? And how can the Scripture be used for correction if it is not correct itself?

“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.”—2 Tim 3:16, 17. In His Word, God has committed to men the knowledge necessary for salvation. The Holy Scriptures are to be accepted as an authoritative, infallible revelation of His will. They are the standard of character, the revealer of doctrines, and the test of experience.

How do we test everything by the Scripture if it is imperfect? “To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.”—Isaiah 8:20. Notice that the scripture is comprised of the law and the testimony and “The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure.”—Ps 19:7.

“When ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God.”—1 Thess 2:13.

“But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.”—2 Cor 4:7.

God has been pleased to communicate His truth to the world by human agencies, and He Himself, by His Holy Spirit, qualified men and enabled them to do this work. He guided the mind in the selection of what to speak and what to write. The treasure was intrusted to earthen vessels, yet it is, none the less, from Heaven. The obedient, believing child of God beholds in the testimony of God the glory of a divine power, full of grace and truth.

“As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried.”—Ps 18:30

“The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth purified seven times.”—Ps 12:6.

“We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.”—2 Pet 1:19-21. Please note that the word prophecy applies to any inspired utterance and is not limited to the foretelling of future events.

Jesus came into this world with His divinity clothed in humanity. He came in the likeness of sinful flesh yet without sin as the perfect Lamb of God. In Christ was the uniting of the human and divine and so the Bible was given to us also as the uniting of the human and divine.

The Bible even claims the “Word” to be Jesus Himself. “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God…. And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us.”—John 1:1, 14. God is ever present and working through the Scriptures. This is why the Bible is “alive.” Hebrew 4:12 says, “For the word of God is quick [alive], and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” Even in describing Jesus, Revelation 1:16 says, “Out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword.”

I’m so thankful for “ Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower there of falleth away: But the word of the Lord endureth for ever.”—1 Peter 1:23-25.

Have a great day my friend.
GIL

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:02 pm

Kami ?
Where'd you go :)
I hope you didn't get scared away...
come by again soon. I'd love to hear how you
are doing :)

J~

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:27 am

Hey Kami1095,

I think religion should never be pushed on anyone. I respect all people beliefs. I thought a lot of the same thoughts that you posted here.One message that changed my life is on a web site called mooreonlife.com. When you get there go to listen to todays message. Once there go to audio archives then to Bible Basics then to My Goodness he's gracious. It's a four part series that is just awesome. Just give it a listen if your open to it.

Have a great day,
Pat

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:52 pm

Hello
RE: I believe in doing what feels right to you as long as it doesnt affect others negatively.

That is a sign that there is something Godly within you.

I think there are many reason why people believe in God, or a higher. Just to mention a few, it is said that if you train a child in the way he should go when he will not depart from it. Many were raised to believe in God.

Another things that causes us to believe in His existance is FAITH, which is said to be THE SUBSTANCE OF THINGS HOPED FOR IN EVIDENCE OF THINGS NOT SEEN. It is said that faith comes from hearing the word of God.

Some believe because they have seen miracles,angels, etc. whereas others might see a miracle as luck.

I don't even believe that something so miraclous as the human beings could have came into being except for God. I don't believe human came into being from a "Big Bang Theory" nor that we evolved from apes. I think if we had evolved from apes, there would be no any apes left.

Many do good for goodness sake, and you appear that way to me. I do understand why you might feel the way you do, and I think how we live might be just as important or more than what we believe in, and that God forgives us for what we don't know.

In reference to things in the Bible such as the snake in the Garden, I know the bible uses parables (one thing to represent another)especially in revelation, and also other places. Eg. Judgment day I believe is likened unto a harvest where the wheat is seperated from the tares and the tares thrown into the fire.
Respectfully submitted

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:55 pm

oops, I meant to say... when you train a child in the way he should go when he is OLD, he won't depart from it. (Can I get a spell check, smile and keep your head up).

Return to “Spirituality for Anxiety & Depression”