Did anyone feel as though God was giving them attacks?

The spiritual response to anxiety and depression
BethDyess

Post by BethDyess » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:01 pm

I know it is my thoughts doing this becuase I think we have a more loving god than what my mind wants to tell me sometimes.

Did anyone else fear that God was giving you panic attacks for something you did?

I found myself going from a simple, silly hearted person to someone that almost has to live a perfect life.

Example: There is a group of people that have been cussing me out, and doing real mean things to me for a very ling time. Almost like a group of bullies.

Well instead of telling them to back off I will allow them to treat me bad because if I do stand up for myself I get a panic attack. This makes me feel as though God is punishing me for standing up for myself.

There are other examples as well.

I never used to feel this way. I am not sure how I got here.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:34 am

Good morning Beth,

I have never thought God gave me panic attacks but I did question if God had abandoned me. But in the midst of that, I made myself pick up the bible and read it and I was beautifully reminded that God has promised to never leave us or forsake us. He has us inscribed on the palms of His hands. (Isaiah 49:15)

Sometimes he allows us to go through things but He is with us all the way. I am learning to trust him in the storm. Know that God is love and he wants you to be free.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:41 am

Beth,
I to have let others overstep themselves with me because I was scared that I wouldn't be acting Christian if I stood up for myself. Well, not anymore. There is nothing unbiblical about having clear boundaries. It is essential to a healthy, balanced lifestyle. Our boundaries define who we are and who we are not. These boundaries effect almost all aspects of our lives: Physcial boundaries help us to determine who can touch us, mental boundaries give us freedom to have our own thoughts, emotional boundaries help us to deal with our own emotions and spiritual boundaries help us to distinguish God's will from our own.
I now know when something truly offends me I will either take myself out of the situation or if I can't, I will address it without being harsh or defensive (most of the time because I'm not perfect) I use to bottle it up because I do not like confrontation. I now pick my battles. You'll know the difference between the time to speak and the time to turn the other cheek.
Hang in there and God Bless:)

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:56 am

Hi Beth - it sounds like maybe it's the fear of confrontation that is causing the panic, this has happened to me as well. You want to say something, but you are fearful that they may respond or threaten you further. Sometimes you just have to step out and allow whatever to happen as a consequence. It's hard but it's a good exercise.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:07 am

Hi Beth:
It has been a month now since you posted this.
I hope the situations are better for you now.
You got some good responces here.

When hurtful things come to us it is sort of easy to let ourselves think that God is punihing us for some failure on our part.

But I don't think He does. Our fears do that to us. When we are depressed everything we do, don't do, feel, or think are suspect to us.
We doubt ourselves so much at those times.

I'm not an autority on anything. But I think you are very worth taking up for yourself.
One of the posters on here said on New year's day that what he had learned was that he is worth it. (To feel okay).

You are worth it!! :You are not always wrong).
In fact, I think I can say that you are pretty precious in the sight of God.

Best of every thing in the New Year!!
MJ

Post by Guest » Sat May 08, 2010 2:23 pm

Hi Beth,

That is awesome advice from Kgirl, well put! I have had a lot of problems with setting health boundaries, was more worried about hurting others than about them hurting me.
We were not placed on this earth to play the victim role, we are victors! Standing up for oneself is a healthy thing to do, there is nothing wrong with being firm with someone...stand strong! Don't be moved by what other people may say or do, we do not need the approval of others, listen to that inner still small voice for guidance & direction.

God Bless You!
ljanz

Return to “Spirituality for Anxiety & Depression”